White bearded Silkie...think he has the potential to be SQ????????????

His feet look quite good - only major thing I can see is that his fifth toes do not turn backwards and up. But feet are not worth a great deal of points. Given what the photos show I think his feet wouldn't lose more than a couple of points for that fifth toe - and some of that will depend on how the foot feathering appears on the day you show.

Since we can't see the comb very clearly it's hard to tell how close to standard it is in terms of shape and color - and it has lots of developing to do yet, so you'll have to wait and see. If you spread his wings out and check the feathering you might be able to tell how evenly the wing feathers are coming in, but 8 weeks is really too soon to tell.

Body type looks okay, but the way he's roosting doesn't necessarily help him present himself in a nice compact, arched shape, so the photo is not quite as helpful in that regard. For example, the neck is stretched out somewhat, which I'd attribute to maintaining balance on the chair or perch he's on. And in the "rear" shot his tail kind of lists to the right. Could be wry tail or just his body position.

On another note, all Silkies have show quality potential. Any Silkie can be shown. But the majority won't have the right combination of correct features to win or even place.

My best advice would be to give him another 6 months of development and then show him as a cockerel. (My first thought when I quickly scanned through the photos was that I thought there was a chance it was a pullet, but the first photo definitely shows more signs of a comb, so I think you're probably right.) The worst thing that could happen at the show is that the judge won't award him any placement, but you'll get to see other Silkies of good quality to help you develop your own sense of what a potential "show winner" is. Further, it will entirely depend how many other Silkies he's got to compete against in terms of how well he does. If he's the only white cockerel he may place first, though he might not win RV or BB or anything. If there are forty white pullets and ten white cockerels you might end up going home with nothing at all to show for it, and not even a chance to find out from the judge what traits you should be considering with your birds.

Definitely show him! You'll have a chance to learn a great deal and might be thrilled to find out he's a decent bird to show AND to breed. (In my experience, males don't usually end up with the accolades that females do, but that doesn't mean YOU won't have a blast showing him!!)

Good luck!

Quote:
ahh i see thank you, where is the best place to purchase this book? And what did you mean by a quality silkie costing me more than the book?? lol sry, just got confused

I don't know anyone who would sell what they believe to be a show-worthy bird for less than $25-30, and most sell for much more than that. Pet quality birds from breeders usually go for at least $15.

Quote:
ahh i see thank you, where is the best place to purchase this book? And what did you mean by a quality silkie costing me more than the book?? lol sry, just got confused

I don't know anyone who would sell what they believe to be a show-worthy bird for less than $25-30, and most sell for much more than that. Pet quality birds from breeders usually go for at least $15.

ahh i see now, thank you

Back
Top Bottom