White crested black silkie project questions?

luckiestck1

Songster
11 Years
Aug 13, 2012
Hi
I have a question.
I have seen that two people on here are trying to breed white puff black body silkies. I was wondering if one was to do this project what would be the best colour silkie to breed with the white crest polish i would start with?
Black, white or wild partiage?

Black.
And it's actually very hard to get the white crested back after losing it. It is thought to be tied to mottling.

@nicalandia can chime in here.

It is thought to be tied to mottling.
Yes, I believe(due to cunning eyesight and profound knowledge the effect of autosomal and allosomal mutations on chick down color/pattern) that the gene responsible for the White color in Black/Red Polish is due to one of the many recessive mottling mutations. Confirmed mutations, Mo+, mo, mo^w, mo^j and mo^d, due to missing official nomenclature of the last two mutations I have proposed mo^j for Japanese mottling mutation and mo^d for d'Uccle mottling mutation) Unconfirmed mutation: mo^wc for recessive mottling white crest, awaiting for formal genetic studies and formal naming nomenclature.

Black Silkie x WC Polish will result in All Black Chicks with Black Crest, Crossing the F1s together will ensure that the recessive White Crest mutation is restored.

Black Silkie x WC Polish will result in All Black Chicks with Black Crest, Crossing the F1s together will ensure that the recessive White Crest mutation is restored.
That is, if it is actually that simple.

It should be as simple as Black Mottled x Black F1 x F1. At least to regain the White Crest.
Time will tell. My gut tells me it won't work that easily, based on what I've seen of attempts to make Jubilee Polish. Tolbunt x Jubilee and 5 generations in the mottling and proper crest color still isn't all there.

Maybe accept the black silkie and dye the crest white? I'm kidding, but Id love to see a white crested black polish silkie!
Correction. You mean white crested black silkie.

Polish is another breed. Saying white crested black Polish Silkie makes no sense.

Back
Top Bottom