White Faced Black Spanish

I have 5 WFBS, 3 hens and 2 roos. I LOVE them.

They are actually pretty quiet, which is good because my son and DH both work nights or graveyard and need to sleep in. We have been having some fairly cold weather for my part of the county (PNW), mid 20's, and they seem to be doing fine. One of my roos has a gimpy leg that I think came from getting beat up by an aggressive hen. He was fine when he went into the house one night and gimpy the next morning. He spent weeks by himself while the other chickens went off free-ranging. I think he got lonely because during his recovery he started to let me pick him up and hold him. Now he kind of "goose steps" on one leg but he gets around pretty well. I will take some pictures of them tomorrow and see if I can post them.

Ya know ... someone needs to make a BYC Breeds page for the Spanish! There is not one there yet.
hide.gif

ETA: Oh, never mind, I am wrong. I was looking on the sub index. There is a page on the regular index. Sorry.

Last edited:
I love mine. I got her about a month ago and she is very sweet. She is very skittish and she makes an almost cooing sound which is in a higher key than the other girls. I named her Selena after the singer Jennifer Lopez got famous playing. Apparently she kept flying over the original owners wall so she 'clipped' her wings...yeah...BOTH of them and really drastically. I haven't got an egg from her yet but then most of my birds are takin' it easy this winter so...
hmm.png

You can see her poor wing...
sad.png

44629_dsc08579.jpg

She's such a sweet girl
44629_dsc08580.jpg

Kathy, a couple of years ago I looked into inporting some cara blanca eggs from Rodriguez Poultry in Spain. The paperwork was impossible and very expensive. I gave up.

Do you sell hatching eggs?

Rufus

Quote:
See post # 8 ... Terry Lund. That is where I got my eggs from. I just hatched 100% from his shipped eggs, too.... 8 fertile eggs, 8 new chicks!

I'm glad somebody's eggs from Lund hatched. All my eggs were wrapped well, looked good, and did develop but had GIGANTIC (like, more than half the egg), irregular air cells with chicks trying to form in the bottom of the egg. They were all fertile, and all had formation, and every last one of them died between day 5 and day 15. The chicks could not grow with the gigantic air cells taking up so much of the space inside the egg!

I had 2 vorwerks from him that developed nothing. I opened them when they didn't develop, and they didn't even have the "bullseye of fertility". I had 2 salmon faverolle eggs, one of which was clear but did show the fertility bullseye when I opened it. The other one developed but quit around day 10, as well, also with a giant air cell.

It was my first time buying shipped eggs, and it'll be my last. That was a really expensive experiment.

Last edited:
111156_img_0494.jpg

I raise some bantam WF Black Spanish. I have been working for a few years to lengthen the back and bring back the "Mediterranean" look to the birds and move away from the Rosecomb type. Still have some work to do to get the faces to whiten up quicker on the females. Most of my hens do eventually get the comb to flop over as the reach one of year of age.
Fun birds to work with....

I purchased / Rescued a pair of BSWF that had been living in someones basement their entire lives.
They didnt know how to walk on the floor or what sunshine was, but finally did become accustomed to normalcy.

The Hen laid maybe 30 eggs, moulted and hasnt laid a single egg in 5 mos now.
sad.png

I was able to hatch ONE SINGLE Chick, a hen...but so far no " White Face " ...when does it show up ???

Also just a few days ago the poor rooster got snatched by a hungry hawk. Who has them in the midwest ??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom