White flakes on 10 wk old RIR flock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1Teacherchick, May 21, 2012.

1. 1Teacherchick

1Teacherchick Songster

May 3, 2012
    Northern CA
    I have 3 Rhode Island Red chickens about 10 wks old. They all have small white flakes on their feathers quite frequently. They don't seem to be uncomfortable or anything. Is this normal? Do they have some sort of lice or skin problem?

2. americanvalkyrie

americanvalkyrie Songster

Nov 20, 2011
    Reno, NV
    What kind of bedding are they in? I'm noticing that on my chicks, but I'm guessing it's the bedding because I'm also seeing it on my ducklings.

3. 1Teacherchick

1Teacherchick Songster

May 3, 2012
    Northern CA
    They're in large pine shavings at night, and the run where they are during the day is grass and some dirt. The flakes are much smaller than the shavings, but I'll look more carefully tonight.

4. americanvalkyrie

americanvalkyrie Songster

Nov 20, 2011
    Reno, NV
    That's what I use... large pine shavings.

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I believe you are seeing the protein sheath that each new feather emerges with and as the feather grows, the protective sheath is no longer needed and is shed. You will see more of it during molting and when young chickens are getting their big bird feathers on.

6. 1Teacherchick

1Teacherchick Songster

May 3, 2012
    Northern CA
    They seem to look more like that than like pieces of the pine shavings. That's probably it. Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: