White mass in chicken eye

Toxic to the cornea? Ophthalmic ointment is ideal, but has to be prescribed by a vet. Plain Neosporin ointment is not toxic, but the ophthalmic ointment is sterile. So is regular neosporin. My vet recently prescribed Neosporin Ohthalmic ointment for my dog @ $30 for a corneal abrasion. After it was finished, I use a $3 tube of regular Neosporin.

I came on this site to get the salt to water ratio again because I had a chicken with a swollen lid and I could sometimes see a white thing. I've treated her eye with colloidal silver and ointment now for almost 2 weeks and it had gotten a bit better but not well enough that she would keep her eye open. She still rubbed her eye on her wing and tried scratching it with her foot. I just knew something was in there but at fist it only looked like a pimple on the inside lid. I though it might be fowl pox. Well, today the white thingy appeared to have moved and I thought I gotta find out what that is. ANYWAY, the chicken gods shined down and I saw this post and pic! Read it. Thought shit. Ok, I can do this. Made the solution, got the CS, a towel, syringe (no needle) and the chicken. One girl show here tonight so towel was my partner in crime. As soon as I touched her eye this time I saw a great big white thing. Touched it again and saw fringed stuff. OMG. WTH IS THAT?! Could that be shavings? Would splinters from our building project? IS THAT A FREAKING WEED SEED? A FOXTAIL?!!! I took a calm and deep breath and gave it a tug 3 different times. I know it hurt but it had to hurt more just staying in there. Look what I pulled out on the 3rd try. MY POOR BABYGIRL. Gave it a really good flushing and then treated again with CS. She still loves me. As soon as I got it out she jumped down and started picking and pecking goodies on the ground and she came to me twice after. I am so happy.

Attachments

• 20190905_184735.jpg
    20190905_184735.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20190905_184825.jpg
    20190905_184825.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190905_184809.jpg
    20190905_184809.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190905_184855.jpg
    20190905_184855.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190905_121734.jpg
    20190905_121734.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 18
I came on this site to get the salt to water ratio again because I had a chicken with a swollen lid and I could sometimes see a white thing. I've treated her eye with colloidal silver and ointment now for almost 2 weeks and it had gotten a bit better but not well enough that she would keep her eye open. She still rubbed her eye on her wing and tried scratching it with her foot. I just knew something was in there but at fist it only looked like a pimple on the inside lid. I though it might be fowl pox. Well, today the white thingy appeared to have moved and I thought I gotta find out what that is. ANYWAY, the chicken gods shined down and I saw this post and pic! Read it. Thought shit. Ok, I can do this. Made the solution, got the CS, a towel, syringe (no needle) and the chicken. One girl show here tonight so towel was my partner in crime. As soon as I touched her eye this time I saw a great big white thing. Touched it again and saw fringed stuff. OMG. WTH IS THAT?! Could that be shavings? Would splinters from our building project? IS THAT A FREAKING WEED SEED? A FOXTAIL?!!! I took a calm and deep breath and gave it a tug 3 different times. I know it hurt but it had to hurt more just staying in there. Look what I pulled out on the 3rd try. MY POOR BABYGIRL. Gave it a really good flushing and then treated again with CS. She still loves me. As soon as I got it out she jumped down and started picking and pecking goodies on the ground and she came to me twice after. I am so happy.
Good job! Nice photos too.
You may want to flush the eye and apply your ointment(s) for another couple of days to ensure all the gunk and infection is removed. Amazing what they can get in their eyes that can cause infection.

Here's another one from a few years ago that had a Foxtail in the eye.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pulled-a-fox-tail-and-this-mass.1053341/

Congratulations! I know it's such a stressful situation. Good job and I'm sure your hen is feeling so much relief!

Have you personally done this?

I have to disagree.
Borax (laundry soap)is toxic to chickens. Perhaps you are thinking of Boric Acid which is found in some ophthalmic products, even at that Boric Acid should not be used in chickens.

A purchased saline solution can be used or if the OP desires it, they can make their own.

This is from the Borax website https://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/compare/borax-vs-boric-acid/
Borax is safe when used as intended
Borax should not come into contact with your eyes or mouth. It is considered an eye irritant and may be harmful if swallowed.
As with all household products, borax should be kept out of reach of children.
Borax is barbaric. Why not just mix some proper saline solution and use that? At least it won't hurt her.

Back
Top Bottom