White mold on ground

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

I live in the PNW and have experienced exactly what you are describing, It was caused by shrapnel from feeder hitting the ground but no traffic or not enough disturbance of the ground underneath. I do semi deep litter now and no longer experience it. Semi- is never really wet enough to achieve the same thing deep litter does.. but more my style and works well for MY location especially. I now fill my run with shavings, pine needles, bark, leaves, grass clippings etc.. this is more like the forest floor.. fluffy, and drains well without compacting and no more funky stink around the wet edges during the rain season as well as no more weird growth.. Bare ground is a breeding ground for bacteria, according to my understanding.. and what I described basically invites ore organisms to the party to keep it more of a balanced ecosystem.

It looks a lot like fluffy SCOBY, would be my description and maybe more a yeast growth than mold.

Large particle bark to fill your covered run..

Special needs anything is a special sort of blessing AND challenge. Hope you find all the help you need, hang in there! :fl

ETA: SCOBY. symbiotic co-existence of yeast and bacteria. Also, I haven't replaced mine yet and need to keep adding to it continually. Otherwise, as needed.
[/QUO

I found lightly misting with Vinegar kills all types of mold and wont hurt chickens. You might want to Change your flooring and either put flat stone down or sand.

Back
Top Bottom