White rock pullet, a cockerel?

torilovessmiles

Songster
5 Years
Sep 19, 2014
Central West Virginia
We bought 6 white rock chicks about 3 months ago. Two died young, we gave one away, and two (a cockerel and pullet) were killed by a dog last week. The remaining bird, which we thought was a pullet, is being nursed back to health in our extra shower. But today, I noticed what sort of appears to be sickle feathers...

At 13 weeks old, the comb just recently reddened. Though she/he was slightly darker than the other pullet around the face, it has still just recently (almost) fully reddened and is still pale pinkish-yellowy on the tips. The cockerel of the same age and breed had a comb 4 times the size and was completely red at 8 weeks old, so I have some hope. He also had much larger legs and was a lot taller.

Sorry that s/he looks so dirty. It's just iodine and some blu-kote. Some wounds are still healing and I don't want to risk contaminating them with unsterile water

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I keep reading that Rock pullets get their headgear quicker than most standard breeds. Besides, a cockerel would usually have a larger comb than that at 8 weeks. So I'd think it is a pullet.

Last edited:
I keep reading that Rock pullets get their headgear quicker than most standard breeds. Besides, a cockerel would usually have a larger comb than that at 8 weeks. So I'd think it is a pullet.
That's what I thought, I guess I'm just a little paranoid with her being the last of my rocks left, and putting so much work into her! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom