White specks on comb and face?

PoultryNewbie

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 16, 2013
My chickens all have white specks, like dust, on their combs and faces. What is this? I can't find a definite answer anywhere. It's not dry pox. They seem fine otherwise. It just got colder here but we're in the south where it doesn't get very cold. It was about 32 degrees the other night, but that's a rarity. I'll take and post a picture. Coincidentally I gave them a small tub of yogurt yesterday so it could just be dried on yogurt, but it's odd that it's on all of them.

From what I can see it does look like they got yogurt on themselves.

Maybe try to gently wipe it off with a damp cloth and see what happens?

Dry skin likely since fungal problems like Favus are generally flaky and crusty. In extreme cases birds start losing feathers. Favus is caused by a parasitic fungus called Trichophyton Gallinae. It is a contact disease spread over time from bird to bird. People used to use mange medicine for Favus, but had to be very careful about keeping it out of the bird's eyes. Anti fungal creams like Miconazole work well and a cleaning of the housing/yard if it is moist and mulch covered. Sanitizing waterers and feeders is done also.

RX Poultry Remedy or a little olive oil rubbed on the comb and wattles with your fingers is helpful for dry skin.

Dry skin likely since fungal problems like Favus are generally flaky and crusty. In extreme cases birds start losing feathers. Favus is caused by a parasitic fungus called Trichophyton Gallinae. It is a contact disease spread over time from bird to bird. People used to use mange medicine for Favus, but had to be very careful about keeping it out of the bird's eyes. Anti fungal creams like Miconazole work well and a cleaning of the housing/yard if it is moist and mulch covered. Sanitizing waterers and feeders is done also.

RX Poultry Remedy or a little olive oil rubbed on the comb and wattles with your fingers is helpful for dry skin.

Good points! Be aware, using baby oil will actually make skin more flaky over time.

I agree. Just rub it with oil not to heavy and taking care not to get it in the tiny holes on the top of the beak. While you are at it do the same with the legs. You can use Monostat (vaginal yeast cream) if the crusty bits are cracked or scabby from bleeding. If the comb had been bleeding there will be dark red fleck or the oil might get a bit pink as the crusty sloughs sloughs off.

I agree. Just rub it with oil not to heavy and taking care not to get it in the tiny holes on the top of the beak. While you are at it do the same with the legs. You can use Monostat (vaginal yeast cream) if the crusty bits are cracked or scabby from bleeding. If the comb had been bleeding there will be dark red fleck or the oil might get a bit pink as the crusty sloughs sloughs off.
Monostate is a great idea! I believe some of the OTS athlete's foot creams will work for most yeast/fungus stuff as well.

Back
Top Bottom