White spots on earlobes

TX Chick Noob

DH says I'm obsessed with my chickens 😂
Premium Feather Member
I know that chickens can have red or white earlobes, but I am pretty sure the chickens I am asking about have red ones. I have noticed that several of my chickens have white spots/splotches on their earlobes. Is this normal or something to be concerned about? I haven't seen any other sign of mites, etc but I know they can be hard to spot.

I have ISA Browns and some assorted "colored egg layers" that are a hybrid of some type. Since most aren't laying yet I don't know for sure what they are, other than that they are a hybrid of some type. They are 18 weeks old today. Here are a few pictures.

B6928352-AFBF-429A-80AF-FAB5E13727A6.jpeg

DFB14235-3006-42EF-AE35-BACE5C63B19D.jpeg

95EE5103-EB50-431F-BEFB-A331ED48E34F.jpeg

I know that chickens can have red or white earlobes, but I am pretty sure the chickens I am asking about have red ones. I have noticed that several of my chickens have white spots/splotches on their earlobes. Is this normal or something to be concerned about? I haven't seen any other sign of mites, etc but I know they can be hard to spot.

I have ISA Browns and some assorted "colored egg layers" that are a hybrid of some type. Since most aren't laying yet I don't know for sure what they are, other than that they are a hybrid of some type. They are 18 weeks old today. Here are a few pictures.

View attachment 3226105
View attachment 3226103
View attachment 3226104
That's the color of the lobes! It's genetic.

Not uncommon.. often seen in cream colored layers and sometimes on colored layers.

Ok thanks. The seem to vary so much, and some seem mottled red and white. I have always heard red means brown eggs and white means white eggs. But with the possibility of blue and green in the mix I quess they can be speckled or mottled. 😂

Ok thanks. The seem to vary so much, and some seem mottled red and white. I have always heard red means brown eggs and white means white eggs. But with the possibility of blue and green in the mix I quess they can be speckled or mottled. 😂
The variation is caused by the hybrid genetics.

The red lobes equals brown egg and white lobes equals white eggs is old information and not a sufficient description anymore.

For example Lamona are bred to lay white egg with red lobes.

Silkies, with correct dark skin color will get blue lobes where the white overlays the dark. The still lay cream colored eggs. Example from google..

1660751815274.png

FWIW.. ALL eggs start out white and then get the pigment added on top. The inside of the brown eggs are white shells.

Blue eggs.. true blue (like CCL and Ameraucana).. will be blue all the way through the shell. CCL have white lobes Ameraucana have red lobes..

1660751987555.png

Speckled eggs are often laid by Welsummer and perhaps Silverudd Isbars.

I have also seen them on a few of my standard hatchery hens. Speckles are pretty!

THIS is what makes chicken keeping an interesting, fantastic, and never ending adventure.. there's almost always something new to learn. I've seen hens crow (quite pathetically) and grow significant spurs, I've seen cocks sing the eggs song and sit on nests like a broody and Seabright roosters are hen feathered. The only thing I haven't seen yet.. is a rooster lay an egg. :caf

Back
Top Bottom