white wash recipe

kimpaw

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
What are the thoughts on painting white wash on the inner plywood walls and ceiling. Any good recipes?

Hello and Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I use a food grade Diatomaceous Earth white wash in our coops, mainly for the roosts(dries the pooh faster and preventice mite/lice problems). It's also a good ant deterrent.

Recipe:White Wash recipe: 1 Cup food grade DE to 1/2 gallon of water. Stir often.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

Thanks Dawn, I hadn't thought of Diatomaceous Earth.I had a lime base paint in mind. Your recipe sounds easier as it is similar to using Timbor and I can spray that with a garden sprayer .I wonder how chickens do with boric acid? How often do you reapply to the roost? Do you use it on the walls, ceiling,floor, laying boxes? kimpaw

Dawn, I guess I should have gone to your DE page before I asked more questions. So I see where you use it. I did not see mention of spraying walls or ceiling. Also another question came to mind that did not seem to be mentioned. What happens when the DE enters the compost operation? after compost I assume it will end up in the food garden still as DE and do what it does kill bugs,good and bad. So the question seems to be do I want DE in my garden soil. Kimpaw

Check out the Wolf Creek Ranch food grade DE page. About halfway down, it discusses using it in the garden. Yes, it does kill both good and bad bugs and there are concerns over what it will do to the already troubled honey bee population. I've never seen the bees hanging around the areas that I use it (as I stated on my page). As far as the compost pile, it doesn't harm earth worms and it is safe for human/animal consumption. I add it to our dog/chicken/rabbit feed and had taken it myself for awhile (which I need to start doing again).

I have TekFoil on the walls and ceiling of the coop(for insulation), that's why I don't use the white wash on them.

I'm not here to convince anyone that they should use food grade DE, just putting the info out their from my (positive) experiences with it.
wink.png

Dawn

Dawn , thanks again for all the info. I am definitely interested in DE now. I will chat it up with my gardening friends and see what they think. Kimpaw

I guess that works except I put in the wrong http for recipe #3 . It should be/books.google.com/books?id=bRgLAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA300&lpg=PA300&dq=whitewash+recipe+for+chicken+coop&source=web&ots=xWQWQcPg_a&sig=M7W7revABJs-YCerQM4ikxl_k3s&hl=en

I guess that last link is beyond my abilities.

1/2 bu. lime slaked with boiling water
1/2 peck salt dissolved in warm water
3lbs ground rice boiled to a fine paste
1/2 lb powdered spanish whiting
1 lb. clear glue dissolved in warm water

Mix and let stand several days, use as hot as possible.

Back
Top Bottom