White worm in roosters mouth?

pibb

Songster
Dec 12, 2018
Tennessee
I thought I dropped a tack and the rooster grabbed it so I grabbed him and tried to pry his mouth open to get it back and seen what looks like a white worm in the back of his throat. It was getting dark and hard to see but what could that be? I didn't drop the tack apparently so it was not that.

If you cannot solve the mystery, you could get a fecal float at a local vet to check for worm larvae (call ahead to make sure they will look at some fresh droppings.) My vet does not see chickens, but is willing to do a fecal for me. I usually combine it with a dog checkup or something similar.

This is a pea fowl...but chickens look very similar.
upload_2019-1-9_20-0-30.png

I thought I dropped a tack and the rooster grabbed it so I grabbed him and tried to pry his mouth open to get it back and seen what looks like a white worm in the back of his throat. It was getting dark and hard to see but what could that be? I didn't drop the tack apparently so it was not that.
Can you take inside his beak in the morning for mucous, lesions or plaques?

Roundworms and hairworms (capillary worms) can sometimes be found in the esophagus or crop, though usually found in the intestines. A fecal float would show a worm egg infestation. Or you can treat with Valbazen 0.08 ml per pound (0.4ml) for a 5 pound chicken once, and again in 10 days. Or treat with SafeGuard 0.23 ml for 5 straight days.

Back
Top Bottom