Whiting True Blue Chat Thread!

Pics
6wks today

2019 Chickens - 09 Whitings 6wks (1).jpg

@urbanhenhouse ... I've been reading about the skittish/flighty :( good foragers, nothing about the "prolapse & shell thickness". What are you feeding? Layer? Oyster Shells?

Apologies for delayed response! I'm not sure I can attribute it to the breed as a whole, but for the couple I've had, it's been a problem. Fed them same as all the other girls - layer pellets, plenty of oyster shells and grit, kitchen scraps, grubbies for extra protein during moult, and nutrients in their water when it is exceptionally hot. Never had the egg problems / prolapse problems with anyone else.

i have been raising WTB for about 3 years, i get mine direct from the Whiting hatchery from a acquaintance who goes there yearly. i do love these birds but they are a very difficult bird, i think they are much more flighty then most and are a more fragile bird then most.

i have been raising WTB for about 3 years, i get mine direct from the Whiting hatchery from a acquaintance who goes there yearly. i do love these birds but they are a very difficult bird, i think they are much more flighty then most and are a more fragile bird then most.
That’s very interesting! I’ve got a flock of 18 and my WTB is one of those. She’s my only WTB and so far seems to be just like everyone else! No problems thus far.

My girls are going on to 14wks Monday. They are confined in their Chicken House (8x12x7), open air, huge dog house for nest box. I don't find them flighty & all but one comes running when I enter their enclosure. When they were "younger" I'd sit in their mobile run, all would jump on my back/shoulder ... They do like height but still sleeping on the ground in front of the door, during the day they're up on the roosts. Read how they're foragers but find these don't dig as much & deep as other breeds I've had. Really liking these, looks & personalities.

Possibly the difference between breeder & hatchery stock?

First two are the WTG, that first one had me biting nails early on suspecting it was a cockerel & also the "standoffish" one. The last two are the WTB, one turned out muffed & the friendliest.
2019 Chickens - 10 WTB:Fawn.jpg
2019 Chickens - 10 WTB:Red.jpg
2019 Chickens - 10 WTG:Grey.jpg
2019 Chickens - 10 WTG:Muff.jpg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 7
Pretty chickens! I’m guessing the one with the black tail and straight comb laid the tan egg? Let us see when you start getting blue eggs!!

"Red" (pic 2) laid the green egg #3 ... The "Speckle" (pic 1) laid the brown egg #1 ... "Dark" (pic 4) lays the smaller blue egg #2 ... "Grey" (pic 3) lays the narrow blue egg #4.

The other two started laying few days later ....

Attachments

• 2020 Whitings - 01 Egg Quad (2).jpg
    2020 Whitings - 01 Egg Quad (2).jpg
    638.9 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom