Who’s egg is this?

ChickenKiera

Songster
Oct 17, 2019
My chickens lay regular brown eggs and I have two ducks who lay white eggs. Recently I have been getting a white egg which looks and has the texture of a chicken egg (duck eggs are really smooth). I am sometimes getting two duck eggs and the white egg but I also get one white egg and one duck egg. Is this egg a duck egg or is one of my hens laying a white egg now.
Ok the picture it goes duck egg (left), white egg (middle), chicken egg (right). Don’t worry about the marmalade 😂

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 8
it is a chicken egg, yes.

How old are your hens? Sometimes a very young pullet or very old hen can lay unusual eggs.

And finally, do you have any neighbour's chickens infiltrating your coop? 😆

it is a chicken egg, yes.

How old are your hens? Sometimes a very young pullet or very old hen can lay unusual eggs.

And finally, do you have any neighbour's chickens infiltrating your coop? 😆
My hens are about 10 months old. The whole time all of the hens were laying brown eggs but it’s strange that one of them has just started to lay white eggs.
And my neighbour does actually have a rooster but he doesn’t have access to go in with them and my neighbours hens are never there with my hens.

So they are still quite young. I agree with @sloanbychoice it is just a lack of pigment being added to those eggs. They look pale pinkish to me rather than pure white. It may continue or just be a few off ones.

Have you changed their feed? Some feeds have added carotin to encourage darker yolks, though i don't know if that affects shell colour at all.

In the picture, it doesn’t look truly white.
It could be that she’s just throwing a very light shade. Could be just where she’s at with her cycle or something.
That’s what I was thinking when I made this post. The picture makes it look like a cream-ish colour and not just white.

So they are still quite young. I agree with @sloanbychoice it is just a lack of pigment being added to those eggs. They look pale pinkish to me rather than pure white. It may continue or just be a few off ones.

Have you changed their feed? Some feeds have added carotin to encourage darker yolks, though i don't know if that affects shell colour at all.
Their feed has been the same but a few weeks ago we did worm them with some worming pellets so maybe that effected it?

I wouldn't think so, but who knows!

I have noticed as some hens get older, they often don't lay as much pigment into their eggs. Like we humans going grey, lol. But yours are young.

I guess you'll just have to wait and see if it settles into a permanent thing or stays as a temporary one.

Back
Top Bottom