Who’s gonna lay next. The race is on!

Baker1181

Chirping
Sep 20, 2023
SW Washington
I have a green eggs coming from the first Bird shown, started last Wednesday. I have two more birds that are getting big wattles and combs! Who do you guys think is gonna lay first between dinky and scuttle?!?!

My other five still have your normal sized young bird combs.

Picture 1: Boomer(tan)
Picture 2: Dinky(white)
Picture 3: Scuttle(silver back)

Dinky should have been named scuttle since she’s white but she’s so small body wise she got dinky as the name.

All 8 have Disney bird names.

Attachments

• IMG_3635.jpeg
    IMG_3635.jpeg
    807.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3629.jpeg
    IMG_3629.jpeg
    526 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3634.jpeg
    IMG_3634.jpeg
    475.3 KB · Views: 5
It's so exciting when they first start to lay! It seemed like my pullets would never get started, but once the first eggs arrived (the two dominant girls) everyone else started laying over the next ~5-6 weeks, even the 2 Easter Eggers that are ~8 weeks younger than the other six.

Are either Dinky or Scuttle doing the submissive squat around you yet? That was my first indication that a pullet was about to start laying besides the signs of physical maturity (comb color, distance between pelvic bone points, etc.)

It's been fascinating to see which pullets changed very little once they started laying in terms of behavior/personality and which changed radically! My oh-so-flighty and standoffish Whitings True Blue "Martha" became Miss Social Butterfly (to me), hanging around me & squatting to be picked & up and petted -- but acting like a rooster to her former pals at the lowest rungs of the pecking order, mounting and "mating" them and a pullet just above her in rank! (Miss Jekyll and Hyde!) "Raging hormones" seems to be the consensus here, expecting she'll settle down with time & experience (and the coming winter lull in laying).

It's so exciting when they first start to lay! It seemed like my pullets would never get started, but once the first eggs arrived (the two dominant girls) everyone else started laying over the next ~5-6 weeks, even the 2 Easter Eggers that are ~8 weeks younger than the other six.

Are either Dinky or Scuttle doing the submissive squat around you yet? That was my first indication that a pullet was about to start laying besides the signs of physical maturity (comb color, distance between pelvic bone points, etc.)

It's been fascinating to see which pullets changed very little once they started laying in terms of behavior/personality and which changed radically! My oh-so-flighty and standoffish Whitings True Blue "Martha" became Miss Social Butterfly (to me), hanging around me & squatting to be picked & up and petted -- but acting like a rooster to her former pals at the lowest rungs of the pecking order, mounting and "mating" them and a pullet just above her in rank! (Miss Jekyll and Hyde!) "Raging hormones" seems to be the consensus here, expecting she'll settle down with time & experience (and the coming winter lull in laying).
Not so much squatting around me, but I can see them out the window every now and then squatting. The one that just started, she never did to me. I just looked one day and found an egg. After noticing the physical changes. She laid her first 7 days ago, I’ve received 6 eggs. Just the physical changes is what I’m noticing. I think it’s gonna be my white dinky that’ll lay first (if judging by physical changes)

Back
Top Bottom