Who’s my mommy? Naked neck cross

Oops, I was so busy thinking about the comb I forgot about that. :oops:

Excellent point. The poof points to a crested parent, which pretty much has to be the Polish.
(Which still leaves me puzzling about the comb. But with a Polish parent, it should be a V comb--maybe it goes weird when crossed with something.)
I know! The comb is throwing me off too! The only other crested hen is my sapphire olive egger but she has yellow legs and a single comb with orange eyes. And her puff is really small.

Also, I know it’s really early but while we’re here, is this chick looking more like a cockerel or pullet? It’s much smaller than it’s brother who is a sexlinked cockerel. His comb is already huge and he’s already trying to crow 👀. Not to mention Rocky has absolutely no tail feathers while mystery as you can see has tail feathers.

Also, I know it’s really early but while we’re here, is this chick looking more like a cockerel or pullet? It’s much smaller than it’s brother who is a sexlinked cockerel. His comb is already huge and he’s already trying to crow 👀. Not to mention Rocky has absolutely no tail feathers while mystery as you can see has tail feathers.

I am not seeing any red in the comb or the wattles. (I usually notice it in the wattles even before the comb.)

Smaller than the other chick--that could be a gender thing, or just because the Polish presumed-mother is smaller than the Barred Rock mother.

So maybe a pullet, but I wouldn't bet either way yet.

I am not seeing any red in the comb or the wattles. (I usually notice it in the wattles even before the comb.)

Smaller than the other chick--that could be a gender thing, or just because the Polish presumed-mother is smaller than the Barred Rock mother.

So maybe a pullet, but I wouldn't bet either way yet.
C9C9D02F-D9EB-4EE1-B037-73E74FB3D95F.jpeg

This is Rocky just for comparison. It might very well be because Beatrice is mom because I’m pretty sure I snagged her from the bantam bin....
But like...Rocky is so obvious XD.

GUYS. Something interesting I saw today. When looking at our favorite chick, I took a good look at their comb. Remember it looking weird? Well it’s gotten weirder. Now it’s partially a straight comb that splits off to a v comb. I tried to get a picture but they wouldn’t sit still. Has anyone heard of this before? Certainly a first for me.

GUYS. Something interesting I saw today. When looking at our favorite chick, I took a good look at their comb. Remember it looking weird? Well it’s gotten weirder. Now it’s partially a straight comb that splits off to a v comb. I tried to get a picture but they wouldn’t sit still. Has anyone heard of this before? Certainly a first for me.

I haven't heard of exactly this, but crossing comb types does seem to cause some strange results sometimes! And then of course they change as the bird grows, too :)

Is this the chick pictured in post 24? (Mostly black feathers, naked neck, crest on head, comb looked single in front and weird-maybe-rose in the back.)

Do you have an updated picture?

I haven't heard of exactly this, but crossing comb types does seem to cause some strange results sometimes! And then of course they change as the bird grows, too :)

Is this the chick pictured in post 24? (Mostly black feathers, naked neck, crest on head, comb looked single in front and weird-maybe-rose in the back.)

Do you have an updated picture?
Yes! I don’t have an updated picture because they were so wiggly I couldn’t get a good shot. I’ll try to get one within the next few days.

My Naked Neck/Cochin cross has a straight comb that V's at the top. I'll try to get a picture of her in just a little while and share it. She's 18 weeks old, I believe

Back
Top Bottom