Who else got chick fever this year?!!!

My mixed flock has exploded this year. By the end of last year i was down to 4 (3 ducks 1 chicken). I now have 15 (8 ducks 7 chickens) with 5 more chicks ordered to arrive in June. I promised no more babies ... but yesterday my partner brought up incubation .... i'd already thought about incubating some of our duck eggs for several weeks BUT i promised right?!?!?! I guess now its his fault if i go through with it .....

Yes! We’ve been planning to get chickens since we purchased our home in 2019, but I’ve been focusing on human babies. Now that I’ve got toddlers I finally got my flock! But I should probably cool it now 😫 I spend my days cleaning up poop, chickens/toddler/dog .. I don’t think I can take on anymore this year.

Did get two more today though 😂😂

It's been a non stop acquisition of chickens since last September. Next shipment is arriving about May 25th. Originally it was just 25 Ancona pullets with 5 additional Roos. Then the math kicked in and now on the same day I'll have some Red laced Cornish Roos, Some white leghorn roos, and New Hampshire roos to breed with Rhode Island White pullets arriving in July. To you think my wife will notice those additional boys? She knew about the date but never mentioned the additional boys. Then there are Welsummers coming in September and 25 more RIR pullets coming in October that I failed to mention. :)

Sooo... after saying we weren't getting chicks this year, then getting 7 (earlier post on this thread) my husband said, no more chickens unless they are "fancy" such as Polish or silkies. We went by one TSC for some garden things, looked at the chicks but nothing fancy so no issues. We go to a second TSC and there's nothing fancy but there's a bin of assorted bantam, so cute! I was looking at them and noticed there were several silkies. Anyway, we went home with 4 bantam silkies, so much for a "no chick" year 🤣

Two of them have massive eyebrows, it's hilarious.

Attachments

• 20230422_192432.jpg
    20230422_192432.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230422_205028.jpg
    20230422_205028.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230422_205855.jpg
    20230422_205855.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230422_205924.jpg
    20230422_205924.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Sooo... after saying we weren't getting chicks this year, then getting 7 (earlier post on this thread) my husband said, no more chickens unless they are "fancy" such as Polish or silkies. We went by one TSC for some garden things, looked at the chicks but nothing fancy so no issues. We go to a second TSC and there's nothing fancy but there's a bin of assorted bantam, so cute! I was looking at them ans noticed there were several silkies. Anyway, we went home with 4 bantam silkies, so much for a "no chick" year 🤣

Two of them have massive eyebrows, it's hilarious.
It was supposed to be a no more chick year after I had a disasterous experience with our local tractor supply. We went to our usual feed location and there were silkies in the assorted bantams. They're just so irresistible!!

It was supposed to be a no more chick year after I had a disasterous experience with our local tractor supply. We went to our usual feed location and there were silkies in the assorted bantams. They're just so irresistible!!
[/QUOTE]
They were too cute to leave behind!

This year I've gotten all 11 chicks from TSC, this is our first time buying from them so I'm really hoping we have good luck with them. Previously we've gotten them from two local farm stores.

"This year I've gotten all 11 chicks from TSC, this is our first time buying from them so I'm really hoping we have good luck with them."

(I'm not good at figuring out at figuring some of the buttons out with quoting.)

TSC is generally okay 😊. The sourced their bantams at my store with a different hatchery than usual instead of using Hoover for all of them. We've never had any issues otherwise other than someone occasionally popping a chick in the wrong bin but they've been secured so you have to ask an associate this year.

I get chick fever EVERY year. Have orders coming from 3 different hatcheries (most will be sold or raised for friends who requested our help), Im on my 3rd incubator hatch (all sold so far), my broody has 4 eggs developing, and I MIGHT get some Silkie eggs from a friend and MAYBE keep 2 with our chick order? Hub has just about given up.

He wanted to get ducks at TSC today. We have a water area behind our property…he said we could build a hidden duck house, but not tell anyone they were ours. They would just free-range in the wooddd area and we could feed them daily & lock them in at night…he was serious. My response was, I need the brooder in a week, maybe next time we come to the store! 😂

What are we thinking? What is happening to my house?

I get chick fever EVERY year. Have orders coming from 3 different hatcheries (most will be sold or raised for friends who requested our help), Im on my 3rd incubator hatch (all sold so far), my broody has 4 eggs developing, and I MIGHT get some Silkie eggs from a friend and MAYBE keep 2 with our chick order? Hub has just about given up.

He wanted to get ducks at TSC today. We have a water area behind our property…he said we could build a hidden duck house, but not tell anyone they were ours. They would just free-range in the wooddd area and we could feed them daily & lock them in at night…he was serious. My response was, I need the brooder in a week, maybe next time we come to the store! 😂

What are we thinking? What is happening to my house?
The first TSC we went to had Swedish ducklings and another breed on clearance for $1 each, we would love some ducks but aren't set up for them and managed to both be responsible adults and leave without buying any, thankfully!

Back
Top Bottom