who else has chicks in the house??

We raised our 6 girls (ops maybe one roo) in my basement in a home made brooder then they went to kinder garden.
A little larger run. They are 6 wks old and are getting moved to the new hen house this weekend with all the rain we were not able to work on it.
I bring them up stairs every day in there pen so they can be outside. At 7pm they are waiting at the gate for me to bring them in.
Will they be surprised when they stay out this Saturday. I can remember the first day I brought them out they just looked at me
and said what is all this green stuff and stayed in one place did not move. Now they are all over the place. Even dusting them selves.
DH is now hooked he loves to watch them. We have had lots o fights but we still kiss good night every night thank god he still loves me.
jumpy.gif

lol

i live in mn where the winter was pretty harsh this year and i ordered chicks from ideal poulty and kept them inside it was not a very pleasant smell but every time i would replace the bedding it smelt like pine trees!!!!!
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
tongue.png
tongue.png
tongue.png
tongue.png
tongue.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

I have my incubator in the upstairs Victorian Room, once they hatch, they go outside to the brooder. They stink and I don't want that smell in my house. I as of right now, have my incubator running with23 eggs in it..but again, once they hatch, outside they go...

I kept our chicks in our guest bedroom in a kiddie wading pool. Sorry guests, just push that pool aside... is it hot in here? Tee hee!!
clap.gif
I eventually moved them to the garage, but I found it strange that people started their chicks outside....
lol.png

Hi, am a Newbie here, we have had our 10 chicks for a week. They are in a huge clear plastic container in the mini office between the laundry room & kitchen. My girls, ages 5 & 3 love to check out the chicks and see who is sitting on top of the feeder & water. Was going to let them play on the grass outside (one at a time). But is was too windy & they kept running back to me or the container.
So I did the next best thing, let them all play in the girl's bathroom. My girls were in chick heaven & the chicks had a blast trying out their wings & landing on the girls head & back (they girls were laying on the floor). I guess the chicks are becoming comfortable with us, there was a lot less poop to clean-up this time. Owl (our Wyandotte), did the Tom Cruse move from Risky Business) She was hopping around with one of the Buffs & did this run & slide across the floor like he did in the movie. They kept my girls very entertained for 20 minutes.
wink.png

I am among the many who also have chicks in their house. I have 4 Black Sex Link pullets and 2 Rhode Island Red pullets nestled in a box under the bar in my dining room. They are working on their 3rd week and I'm wishing that those feathers would come in faster so I can put them outside!! This is my first time with chickens so it's all been a wonderful experience for me
big_smile.png

~Pamella

We have 10 -6 week olds right now in the house in a dog crate brooder, but honestly, I am ready for my babies to be outside where they belong! I LOVE them all, but it does smell and that smell along with our septic system being dug up, the chicks need to be in their coop. If we had like a garage or something to keep them in outside the actualy living space, then that might be okay.

Well as of this Friday I will have 42 chickens in my basement...........LOL since March 25th, our weather has been horrible so we are now just gonna move the babies into there coop tomorrow, new chicks will be here Friday. the rest of my screwed up order that was suppose to be here last month. So hopefully no one gets sick its like only 38 degree's outside tonight. The other day it was summer 82 and stayed 65 overnight. Darn this awful spring . Next week it's suppose to be in the 80's again....go figure. Kim

We had our chicks in the house the first month. We realized that it was affecting my son's asthma. At first we thought he was sick. No it was the chicks, and dust. So we moved them to the garage until they were about 8-9 weeks. Now they are out in the coop, happy, and doing well. Still need to finish the coop though.

Back
Top Bottom