Who else loves farm life?

Stevo

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Howell, NJ
I retired 2yrs ago october. I lived and worked for 35yrs on the jersey shore 3 blocks from the ocean in pt pleasant beach. In the summer it was a nightmare with all the tourists, traffic, draw bridges, etc. But we got used to it and had a good life raising 4 kids. Then in January I decided to buy a farm in central NJ. Yes I am the real Green Acres guy lol. I knew nothing (built custom homes) about farming. We moved in in May. I thought for sure my wife would be asking to go back to the city in a week. The farm had not been occupied for 4yrs and was a total mess. But it came with all the equipment so between my building knowledge and connections the house is very nice and we have planted some fields, raised some chickens, and got our first pig lol.

I could NEVER go back to the city LOL. I bet this will add 10yrs to my life. Granted there is always something to do 7days a week but we luv it. Even my wife said (and believe me it took alot to get her here and I am almost never right lol) SHE LUVS FARM LIFE.

I feel absolutely claustrophobic in the city. If we HAVE to go to Houston for anything, we can't get out of there fast enough.
Cities are fine to visit for SHORT periods of time, but I love my rural life.
smile.png

I'm a country girl and my hubby who was raised in the mountains thought he wanted to live in the city. Guys, never make the mistake of putting a country girl in the city. You will be miserable. You'll wish you were dead, buried and decayed. I despise the noise, the smell, and the people living in cities. I hate nosy neighbors who let their animals wander all over but get defensive if your dog/chicken/cat looks toward their yard. I hate the neighbors who beat each other up at two am.

I'm perfectly happy with my 20 acre front yard and 16 acre backyard. I can walk around barefoot in my pjs, unbrushed hair, morning breath and not offend anyone. I'd be even happier in the middle of 1600 acres but one has to comromise when one is not rich.

I am slowly working on building a farm. I have always been a country girl in my heart and soul. I love animals, I actually like the smell too (I know I'm nuts lol). Right now I am living on 3 acres right at the edge of town, bordering the "country". Surrounded by woods and set back from the road
love.gif
. So I am doing what I can on the land I have, with the dreams of moving further into the country with a 10 acre minimum in the future.

I have gardens and I had chickens (I needed a better coop, so I am getting more in the spring). I have also been looking into dwarf nigerian goats. The goats will have to be a later goal, I want to make sure everything else I have is sustainable before adding. My one rule is the farm has to pay for itself before I get more... which is hard because I really want more right now... Lol!

But this is the life that is ME. Most of my family dont understand and think I am nuts, but this is who I am, and I love it! "...Farm living is the life for me..."
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
My husband has that rule for it paying for itself too. Not my favorite rule. I am a stay at home mother so what money I make of the farm usually goes right back into it. I have found that selling hatching eggs pays for the chicken feed. The goats help pay because we drink their milk and I make soft cheeses. Last year I made a lot of goat milk soap which helped a lot. This year I have been so busy with the new baby.

We planted eight fruit trees last year. It will be a couple of years before they start producing. My garden wasn't so good this year, but I will have a bigger one next year. I am still not were I want us to be, but we are off to a good start.

Went to the feed store for Layena and YET AGAIN I get The Face and the "When are we gonna move to a farm?" from DD... happens a lot, but most especially if she spots a saddle... what is it with girls and horses? I never had the "urge" as a girl, but I had several friends that were just horse crazy... which even then I found odd seeing as they'd probably freak if they actually had to muck a stall.

DS is also rooting for the farm plan... DH is thinking the "2+ acres of woods for roaming" is heaven and he can deal with the chickens, turkeys, etc.

Ahhh someday!

Last edited:
I have 17 acres and wouldn't trade it for a million dollar house in the burbs.

I can walk around barefoot in my pjs, unbrushed hair, morning breath and not offend anyone.

I do that every morning but usually in my boxers
tongue.png

DS is also rooting for the farm plan... DH is thinking the "2+ acres of woods for roaming" is heaven and he can deal with the chickens, turkeys, etc.

Ahhh someday!]

Do it. You will never be happier.

Believe it or not it took some getting used to. We were used to hearing trains, cars, occasional neighbor yellin at nite. Now we hear nothing but frogs, crickets, and the lovely sound of nothing lol.​

OMG, thought I was the only one who likes the smell of cow, pig and chicken manure!
love.gif
I was born and raised in the city, but I was born with the soul of a country girl! Growing up in the city depressed me, the smog, traffic, crime, I did not find my niche in the material world. My husband was also from the city and trying to convince him to move up into the country was a hard fought battle. He gave it a try for several years, then realized, "Oh what a life, wouldnt trade it for the world!" Once I became emerged in the easy going, quiet country life, I came to life! Working our small farm is alot of work, from sunrise to sundown, but wouldnt have it any other way! The rewards of spiritual, physical, mental and emotional health far out weight any rewards in life that I could of ever dreamed of.

Back
Top Bottom