Who feeds the wild life

countrybum

Songster
11 Years
Sep 15, 2008
area pop. 96
I am just frustrated. In 2006, I fed the coyotes, foxes, racoons and opposums, 50+ chickens. In 2007, I fed them 50+ chickens. In 2008 they only got fed about 25 chickens before I got my coop built for them. Now these guys are so use to coming up and eating, the coyotes are here at 1pm while I am out in the yard working. Not only that, the darn thing grab my young rooster right in front of me and took off into the woods. So now my poor chickens are jailed (lock in their pen) for another week.

So sorry, Sounds like you live in an area that is overrun. Probably free-ranging is not in your future. I'm fortunate that I have little predator problems. Course I'm in an urban/suburban area.
Good Luck,

Imp

when i first started reading this, i thought you fed them the chickens. like here guys! here are some nice yummy chickens!! i think you'll have to scare away the wildlife, teach them that this isn't a place to get food, its a scary place.

What is really bad is the darn coyote was about 400 feet away from me when he grab my rooster.
hit.gif
I was just outraged.
he.gif
I have set traps and just do not know how to get them to go in. What should I do, stick one of my chickens in there? I think not.
D.gif

Does anyone know how to get the coyote in the trap?

They have good protection at night, well now that I have built them a better coop. The coop they stay in at night has a wire bottom, nothing can get in, wire and shuttered windows and a locking door. But who would have expected a coyote to be running around in broad daylight? I guess I could just keep them in their pen - nah, they would really hate that.

I will try the store bought chicken in the trap.

The man across from my mom had a coyote sit in the middle of his field & watch him bush hog in broad daylight.

Guy I work with a coyote jumped a fence & took his moms roommates min pin back into the woods.They are getting more brave.

Quote:
I wager they hate being eaten more. Those losses are extreme. Predator proof run to go with your predator proof coop.
JJ

Back
Top Bottom