Who has Dixie Rainbows?

I don't have any but I can tell you that information is scarce because they're a relatively new hybrid. They're marketed to be a dual purpose type so decent layers combined with rapid growth to a decent butchering size. Plumage is not standardized, they show a mix of colors from the various breeds used.

There really some old threads on here a few years back. I would think there would be more information by now. Mine haven't grown much this week...still smaller than the australorp baby pullet I got the same day. Not a lot of color yet...I hope they are unusual.

I had some Dixie Rainbows (a.k.a. Pioneer) a few years ago. They were a nice alternative to the CXR meat bird. The cockerels had reddish barred feathering and yellow legs. The pullets had more of a willow color to their legs, and were a variable reddish color without barring. Nice birds, grew out to a nice carcass. I held back the smallest pullet and decided to keep her around to see what kind of layer she would be. She was the first of that season's pullets to start laying, and she laid a very large brown egg with tiny freckles (IIRC). She was a mild mannered bird and her blood lines are still in my flock.

I have two Dixie's that I bought at TSC in early spring. One is my avatar pic, Martha. They are HUGE hens and I do believe as stated above, they are dual purpose birds.

My understanding is that they are not a true breed and the only place I've seen them in my area is at TSC. There is not much info about them online last time I looked.

My Dixie's are two of my favorite hens and Martha's sister is the head hen of my flock. Both are good layers, every day or every other and about once a week, Martha lays a mega egg that measures over 3 inches in length and always is a double yolker. The mega eggs are really something to see. I show them to people and they gawk at the size. I still can't figure out how she can lay them without injury!!

Neither of mine are aggressive with the other hens and even Mona, the head hen, isn't overly mean but I do see her put others in their place with a quick peck to the head but I've never seen her peck Martha as they are buddies and hang out a lot together.

In my experience with them, I would buy them again and if you're looking for meat birds, they grow fast and due to sheer size, would be a good choice in my opinion. For eggs, they lay jumbos compared to many others in my flock.

I have two Dixie's that I bought at TSC in early spring. One is my avatar pic, Martha. They are HUGE hens and I do believe as stated above, they are dual purpose birds.

My understanding is that they are not a true breed and the only place I've seen them in my area is at TSC. There is not much info about them online last time I looked.

My Dixie's are two of my favorite hens and Martha's sister is the head hen of my flock. Both are good layers, every day or every other and about once a week, Martha lays a mega egg that measures over 3 inches in length and always is a double yolker. The mega eggs are really something to see. I show them to people and they gawk at the size. I still can't figure out how she can lay them without injury!!

Neither of mine are aggressive with the other hens and even Mona, the head hen, isn't overly mean but I do see her put others in their place with a quick peck to the head but I've never seen her peck Martha as they are buddies and hang out a lot together.

In my experience with them, I would buy them again and if you're looking for meat birds, they grow fast and due to sheer size, would be a good choice in my opinion. For eggs, they lay jumbos compared to many others in my flock.
Do you know which hatchery that tsc used when you purchased the chicks?

Back
Top Bottom