Who has t

Lovitt

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2021
7D8C878B-5DCE-4A81-9E63-FB8A4FF7F213.jpeg
Who has this coop? I’m wondering what you put on the pull out tray. I have not finished it yet but my girls are not even 3 weeks old yet. This is my first post. I have learned so much from this site. Thanks everyone.

Welcome to BYC. Some folks put sand in the pull-out tray. Some put in pine shavings. There are also several other products containing PDZ which helps keep the odor down. Chopped straw products are also popular:
1618250523271.png

Just remember not to put to many chickens in the coop you have pictured. It is small and may house three grown chickens comfortably.

Welcome to BYC. Some folks put sand in the pull-out tray. Some put in pine shavings. There are also several other products containing PDZ which helps keep the odor down. Chopped straw products are also popular: View attachment 2612571

Just remember not to put to many chickens in the coop you have pictured. It is small and may house three grown chickens comfortably.
Agreed. It also appears to have zero ventilation.

I put down some PDZ and some garden lime, and then shavings over the top. I scoop poop daily, so I actually only pull the tray out maybe 2x per year! I just add shavings when it gets low, and sprinkle a bit of the PDZ and lime every once in a while.

If you have a window on the other side of the coop, I had good success with 5" vents on either side, just under the roofline. If the attached run is secure (with hardware cloth on the bottom and locks on any doors), you could leave the pop door open in summer, which is my plan.

Where are you located?

:celebrateWelcome to BYC!! Loads of information on here and lots of friendly people.
How many chicks do you have?

I had that coop about a year ago. They just used it at night and to lay, i had them in a nice little area to range as they please. I needed to cut out/drill some holes and covered them with galvanized wire for added ventilation. I used several things, but what i found worked best was a little bit of hay/straw sprinkled here and there but mainly i used all over are pine shavings. I did this because they sometimes like to munch on the straw, but the straw/hay is really an extra. Pine shavings are comfortable for them and easy to clean. Avoid cedar, as cedar shavings can be toxic. I hope this helps. :clap

Back
Top Bottom