Omg!!! I love it
1f601.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
X's 10
1f414.png
1f600.png

What a fun thread! I started with 5 and now have 8, addictive little critters that they are! I would have sooooo many more, but I would be banished to the coop with them by my husband
1f601.png

What a fun thread! I started with 5 and now have 8, addictive little critters that they are! I would have sooooo many more, but I would be banished to the coop with them by my husband
1f601.png

Lol...ain't that the truth
1f60a.png
Great pictures. I love looking out my window and seeing what my three little hens are up to. Ha ha no one would have ever guessed that I would be "the chicken lady"
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f469.png

Lol...ain't that the truth
1f60a.png
Great pictures. I love looking out my window and seeing what my three little hens are up to. Ha ha no one would have ever guessed that I would be "the chicken lady"
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f469.png

Lol, my family prefers the term "CRAZY chicken lady"
1f602.png
I find myself making excuses to go out and check on them all the time. They are so much fun :)

We started two years ago with 2 BR and 1 Cuckoo Maran peeps.
We have a coop attached to a 6x15 5-sided run. Also a privacy-fenced backyard (about 40'x75') shared with our Lab.
Once they got old enough they re-ranged the back yard all day.
Lost our Cucko Maran at Christmas. Little Hen went broody again in April so I let her set a batch of 11 EExLight Brahma eggs.
Now we're at 5 pullets and our 2 BRs.
If I was outside of town, I;d have bigger flock and a roo, but for now this is a fun size flock.
EE and Silver Leghorn x Light Brahma Roo cross pullets: Black one and 2 with puffy cheeks clearly have EE mommas:

Adult BRs, Momma Hen on left, Little Hen (broodie bird) on right:

We started two years ago with 2 BR and 1 Cuckoo Maran peeps. We have a coop attached to a 6x15 5-sided run. Also a privacy-fenced backyard (about 40'x75') shared with our Lab. Once they got old enough they re-ranged the back yard all day. Lost our Cucko Maran at Christmas. Little Hen went broody again in April so I let her set a batch of 11 EExLight Brahma eggs. Now we're at 5 pullets and our 2 BRs. If I was outside of town, I;d have bigger flock and a roo, but for now this is a fun size flock. EE and Silver Leghorn x Light Brahma Roo cross pullets: Black one and 2 with puffy cheeks clearly have EE mommas: Adult BRs, Momma Hen on left, Little Hen (broodie bird) on right:
Very cool. Do you have a picture of the run. My husband just finished ours yesterday. He worked on it a little at a time and I think it came out awesome
1f601.png

Our run is actually our old dog pen. Once our lab was old enough, no longer needed it. So when we got the peeps, I put a top on it. The coop is one the back side, behind our shed. the fence for the run attached to the coop. I used 2x4 wire, our dog keeps predators at bay, only predation happened when she was at the kennel for a week.
I put small mesh plastic fence around the bottom before the peeps hatched to keep them in.
The top is also plastic mesh. Only real problem is that it catches leaves & is hard to clean them off.

Last edited:
I love seeing everyones pictures!! I have an itty bitty flock of..two! It was just one but my girl Irene has a rooster friend now.

I love seeing everyones pictures!! I have an itty bitty flock of..two! It was just one but my girl Irene has a rooster friend now.

chickens are social creatures .. it's always good to start out with at least 2

personally, 5 chickens are plenty for me ..

the city provided a compost bin for free.. after 4 months it's almost full ! (manure, pine shavings, dirt, etc)

now that they are free ranging all day... this is like trying to clean up after five 1 yr old running around the backyard with no diaper on..

i can't imagine what it's like to have more than 5 hens... too much work as is

i have neighbors with pools and kids 40-60ft away so i have to keep things clean and free from smell + feathers

Hi there
frow.gif

I definitely have a small flock in more ways than one .. not only do I only have 5, they are bantams
wink.png

We are also on a small, suburban block with restrictions of 6 hens and no roosters.

BruceAZ My gals have a supervised free range every afternoon and pretty much all day on the weekends. They can get pretty noisy when they think it is time to range. However, I had one girl who was noisy all day and started early in the morning. Sadly she has passed away now. However, I found that a radio in the coop, softly playing classical music helped to keep her quiet. In fact, they all seemed to enjoy it.

My feathered Princesses and their Palace
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom