Who here has a small flock? I have three Hens I'm raising in my small backyard

I have a small flock but even then, Chicken Math has gotten me too. We intended on having 3 birds. Our coop is a prefab coop (not the tiniest I've seen but still small) and is sized for 3 birds. And we started with 3 birds. Well, we now have 4. Go figure! I'm just glad I ended up making their run bigger than planned, they enjoy being out all day and just head to the coop for snacks and bedtime.

Last edited:
I have 3 hens too. Gladys, Jenny & Gabby. My one (Gladys) started laying eggs a week ago. Can't wait till all three are in production.

What constitutes "Small flock"? I have twelve.

2 mature: 1 Black Australorp rooster and one Production Red hen.

5 'almost theres' (20 weeks): 1 Easter Egger cockerel, three EE pullets and a BA hen that got put back in the wrong brooder bin at the feed store

5 chicks: 1 Cuckoo Marans, the rest E Eggers. All pullets (I hope!).

Obviously one of the 'Roos will have to go, probably the Australorp if he doesn't learn to play nice!

Last edited:
I have a small flock but even then, Chicken Math has gotten me too.  We intended on having 3 birds.   Our coop is a prefab coop (not the tiniest I've seen but still small) and is sized for 3 birds. And we started with 3 birds. Well, we now have 4.  Go figure!  I'm just glad I ended up making their run bigger than planned, they enjoy being out all day and just head to the coop for snacks and bedtime.

Thanks for sharing
1f601.png
post some pics
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
Do you free range or the stay in the run?

What constitutes "Small flock"? I have twelve. 

2 mature: 1 Black Australorp rooster and one Production Red hen.

5 'almost theres' (20 weeks): 1 Easter Egger cockerel, three EE pullets and a BA hen that got put back in the wrong brooder bin at the feed store

5 chicks: 1 Cuckoo Marans, the rest E Eggers. All pullets (I hope!).

Obviously one of the 'Roos will have to go, probably the Australorp if he doesn't learn to play nice!

That is a big flock to me lol but I know that is a small flock to many.
1f601.png
1f414.png

Nice
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png
my daughter named our chickens... Tinkerbell, Bambi, & Super Girl lol

maybe it's the type of breed

since my hens will make some really loud noises a bit too often

i can hear it from inside the house..  so letting them out will reduce the # of occurrences.. so i just let them free range all day

I bet the love all the freedom. We can't free-range here. They are pretty happy with the run and all the treats they get
1f609.png

I bet the love all the freedom. We can't free-range here. They are pretty happy with the run and all the treats they get
1f609.png

freedom without certain restrictions will result in chaos..

poultry net is a must

i'm starting to see 12" holes at the end of the day..

they turned my raised garden bed into their own dirt bath area..

Last edited:
I have three as well, 2 Barnevelders and a cream Legbar. I've had them for a month and they are pretty funny girls. Although I can't figure out why they never venture past the area their coop is in when I let them out. They have free range of the entire (albeit small) backyard and they always stick to their little corner.

Back
Top Bottom