Who here has house birds

Do you have a house bird

• Total voters
When I rescued cookie the lady who owned the rescue had some birds that she kept, 2 were beautiful hyacinth Macaws and then she showed us a African Grey, it had no feet and half a wing on one side. Turns out it came from some greedy breeder who kept breeding these 2 parents who mutilated their babies. Some had no eyes, no beak, no wings, some were even killed! The breeder kept breeding them and letting them raise the babies. She gave that bird a great life, she had ramps in the cage with fleece to cuddle and climb. Thank goodness she got that bird and was able to care for it so well

In my opinion Lovebirds should be called hatebirds. I had one named Eclipse that was a sweet little girl at first. But overtime she started taking over the aviary. pecking budgies, hogging food, and worst of all... I had a baby budgie named Pollyanna that was the sweetest and most beautiful budgie I ever had. ❤️ But Eclipse did not like her, because Polly was still getting used to flying and stayed in her nest box with her mom. But one day when her mom was out getting food, Eclipse sneaked into Polly's nest box, and just because the nest she wanted was occupied, she litterally TORE off Pollyanna's BEAK and threw her out of the box! I was both heartbroken and furious when I found poor Polly injured. I got rid of Eclipse and gave Polly medical help at once. Polly lasted a month without a beak, and I my hopes for her surviving were high. But a couple of days after her death, she always wheezed and fell off her perch. I found her dead at the bottom of the aviary, even angrier at Eclipse than ever. If you read this, do not be angry at me. I can not like Lovebirds and that is my oppinion, and I am sure there are many sweet ones out there. But I hope that some people who were thinking about getting a lovebird second guess.
Oh, I'm sorry. Poor Polly :( But I don't think all lovebirds are like that right?

In my opinion Lovebirds should be called hatebirds. I had one named Eclipse that was a sweet little girl at first. But overtime she started taking over the aviary. pecking budgies, hogging food, and worst of all... I had a baby budgie named Pollyanna that was the sweetest and most beautiful budgie I ever had. ❤️ But Eclipse did not like her, because Polly was still getting used to flying and stayed in her nest box with her mom. But one day when her mom was out getting food, Eclipse sneaked into Polly's nest box, and just because the nest she wanted was occupied, she litterally TORE off Pollyanna's BEAK and threw her out of the box! I was both heartbroken and furious when I found poor Polly injured. I got rid of Eclipse and gave Polly medical help at once. Polly lasted a month without a beak, and I my hopes for her surviving were high. But a couple of days after her death, she always wheezed and fell off her perch. I found her dead at the bottom of the aviary, even angrier at Eclipse than ever. If you read this, do not be angry at me. I can not like Lovebirds and that is my oppinion, and I am sure there are many sweet ones out there. But I hope that some people who were thinking about getting a lovebird second guess.
Some birds are like that. I had a chicken like that, she'd literally try to kill any younger birds around her then act like it was nothing. She ended up on the dinner plate. I will NOT tolerate that in ANY bird. There have been plenty of instances with even cockatoos where they are all cuddles and cupcakes one minute and the next minute one of them is on the floor dead because the other one bit its head off. (Their necks are real thin and all another bird has to do is get the beak around it and snip like scissors on string.) Every animal can have jealousy or territorial issues and act this way. Hell even POS humans do this, but at least with an animal you can say it don't know any better.

Aaron

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. it just takes time, every bird really can be trained I believe with the right conditioning. I had a parakeet, many many years ago who was almost potty trained. he would sit on the TV ariel in my bedroom and I had a can beneath it and put two pieces of tape on the ariel, if he was between them he'd poo in the can. he would fly there or move over between the tape to dump. It just takes time and of course each bird is different.

Aaron

yes, Paco is a Moluccan Cockatoo.
That is amazing! It shows what spending time with them can do! I will have to give it a try with my parrotlet.

It sounds like your bearded dragons had a disagreement that didn't end well. Thug life.

20220824_085414.jpg
20220823_153525.jpg

I have two house finches. Some people get rid of their birds because they can be quite messy. I have had house birds for many years off and on and I keep mine in a large aquarium. People have told me that you can't do that. We are in Ohio, when I go to the zoo, what are the birds all in??? Glass cages. When I go to pick one out at the pet shop, what are they in??? Glass cages. They do just fine and there is no feathers flying around or birdseed all over my floor. No poop on the walls either. I have told pet shop owners that if they told customers about this they would be able to sell more birds and not have people rehoming them. I have a screen top which I can hang their swings and toys from and it works out great for me. I can't do pictures, sorry. I don't have the technology.

I have two house finches. Some people get rid of their birds because they can be quite messy. I have had house birds for many years off and on and I keep mine in a large aquarium. People have told me that you can't do that. We are in Ohio, when I go to the zoo, what are the birds all in??? Glass cages. When I go to pick one out at the pet shop, what are they in??? Glass cages. They do just fine and there is no feathers flying around or birdseed all over my floor. No poop on the walls either. I have told pet shop owners that if they told customers about this they would be able to sell more birds and not have people rehoming them. I have a screen top which I can hang their swings and toys from and it works out great for me. I can't do pictures, sorry. I don't have the technology.
That's a cool idea, wouldn't work olfor hookbills since they like to climb but great for finches and other birds like that. How do you hang perches?

That's a cool idea, wouldn't work olfor hookbills since they like to climb but great for finches and other birds like that. How do you hang perches?
My whole top is a metal screen top and I use a wire to connect the swing holder to the screen. The top is made for reptiles and gives them plenty of oxygen. I love it as there is absolutely no mess. I use odor control cat litter paper for the bottom of the aquarium, go out in my yard to get them branches to perch on as that keeps their legs and feet healthy and I do not have to trim their nails. They do make aquariums that are slender and tall for a climbing pet but I don't know how big your hookbill is. I just have heard so many people say that they get rid of their birds because they are so messy and this fixes the problem. Mine are right in the dining room where we eat and we enjoy them every time we are in there with them with absolutely no mess or smell. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom