Who here has raised meat birds.

bucky52

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2011
I purchased 6 chicks from tractor supply.The first of may.They were supposed to be all females.I know I have one rooster,he's crowing.and He is a meat bird.he is so heavy.he has a hard time getting around.and sits down most of the time to eat.he is a sweet heart.every time I go into the run.he will come over for a rub under his wattles.and a gentle rub on his wings and neck.I don't plan on eating him.I thought about taking him to a swap meet.and just giving him away.I did read that they will not live past 3 months.If so I will just keep him.

Fast growing meat birds have a lot of health issues. Bones, connective tissues, and organs don't strengthen or grow as fast as their muscles. I felt bad the first time until I saw how weak the leg joints were. I would rather give them 10 weeks of a happy life than more in pain.

he is 9 weeks old.I feel so bad watching him trying to run and keep up with the others.I have picked him up and he hollers as though its painful.I was hoping that he was just going to be a big rooster.I seen a picture of a meat bird.Except the one I have is red.the one I seen was white.

What we had were CornishX's. They were white but, I have seen red. It may be best to end his suffering and honor him by using him for a meal. I know that sounds cruel but that is what I believe. I don't believe in letting an animal suffer.

I agree.It will be hard on my husband to put him down.I did find some pictures on meat birds.and the pullets look like the red ranger meaties.I think I may just take him to our local Tractor supply next week.and give him to someone.

I agree.It will be hard on my husband to put him down.I did find some pictures on meat birds.and the pullets look like the red ranger meaties.I think I may just take him to our local Tractor supply next week.and give him to someone.

we raised meat birds. I was adamantly opposed to it, I wanted nothing to do with any of it. Husband won that argument. At just shy of 9 weeks my son found one in the yard who had passed. It was at that point the decision was made to take them to a gentleman who has a clean, lovely operation. We had a lovely conversation prior to me taking our babies in-I wanted the chickens to be treated with respect and in a humane manner. While I did not want details, I did appreciate his approach-keep the stress level low, thank the birds for their gifts and to remember this was their purpose. It is not a process I want to repeat, but if husband wins that argument again I do feel a little better about "the end" now. We thank each bird with every meal they provide.

Just know that if you give them to someone, they will die.
We had Cornish x as pets when I was little, and I intend to try it again. If they free range all day and are fed in meals, they can stay slimmer. If you truly care about him and want him to live, put him on a restricted diet, letting him eat a bit in the morning and and again in the afternoon. If he is still getting around even slowly you can get at least six more months out of him or more. Some people have ones that live to be over two years old (weighing around 20 pounds). If he is still trying to move and is following his friends he still has a desire to live and it would not be "putting him out of his misery" if you killed him.

thank you.I don't know how to restrict his diet and make sure that the other 5 get the food they need.When I purchased these chicks from Tractor Supply They were suppose to have been Isa Brown And Buff Oringtons Layers.Maybe I will just keep him.At least I do know that as long as I have him.he will be cared for.Until his time comes.And if he should get to the point.when he can no longer get around.I will have my husband put him down.I enjoyed watching him and his 5 coop mates.exploring the grassy chicken yard yesterday evening.He was a happy bird.he was slow getting around.but did not seemed to be in any pain.

Just know that if you give them to someone, they will die. And really - that's not a bad thing. A quick, humane death - in my opinion - is much kinder than letting an animal drag on "until he can't go anymore". What is the the quality of life until then? For Cornish X, that can mean joint, heart, or other health-related problems.
We had Cornish x as pets when I was little, and I intend to try it again. If they free range all day and are fed in meals, they can stay slimmer. If you truly care about him you will think about what's best for the bird, and not just what makes you feel good. Sometimes, the hardest thing for us is the kindest thing for our animals. and want him to live, put him on a restricted diet, letting him eat a bit in the morning and and again in the afternoon. If he is still getting around even slowly you can get at least six more months out of him or more. Some people have ones that live to be over two years old (weighing around 20 pounds) Can you imagine how hard it must be for a 20 pound chicken to get around? Take your own weight. Quadruple it. How easy would it be for you to move? What physical limitations might you have? These birds were not designed to live that long or get that big. If he is still trying to move and is following his friends it's because he's a herd animal - they don't like being alone. he still has a desire to live and it would not be "putting him out of his misery" if you killed him. Right.You would not be "putting him out of his misery". You'd be preventing him from being miserable in the first place. He isn't keeping up with the rest of the flock because he cant. He's too heavy to get around.

OP, you are the only one who can decided what to do with your chicken. Please consider his welfare over your feelings. If you see him starting to struggle in getting around, or darkening of his comb and wattles (a sign of possible heart problems) please put him down before it gets worse. Personally, I think it's more kind to not let them get to that point in the first place, but that's my opinion. There is nothing wrong with putting a chicken down before it does develop health problems. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty about that.

Back
Top Bottom