Who is in charge

Who is in charge of the chicken and animal stuff at your place?

• I am a woman and I am.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am a man and I am.

• I am a woman and he is.

• I am a man and she is.

• We both are. 50/50 all the way.

• Other and please explain

• Total voters
I'm in charge cause sometimes DH cant tell one end a chicken from the other when it comes to frizzles.
lau.gif

He does the dirty work like vaccinations and bloody things like wound care....but I tell him how. But, I'm not bossy...just a good manager! LOL

We both share in the feeding of animal, but I think I feed all the poultry and rabbits. He feeds the goats, I help with adult goats. Since I already voted, me thinks Ido 85 % of the feeding. But, he does all the waterers. Right now SO is doing 100% of the feed % water. Why? I just had cataract surgery on my right eye. In a week and a half I get the left eye done. The dr. doesn'twant me around the dust and dirt being stirred up in the barn.

Other. It's like this. DH supports my animal addiction, both financially and otherwise, because he knows how important they are to me.
He is also the one working a full-time stressful job and I'm not, so most of the day to day care would fall to me anyhow. I truly believe that if one person is working and one is not, no matter their gender, the one that is staying home has an equally important job of handling things at home, to make life easier on the one out earning the living.
So the animals are mine and my responsibility, however my health sometimes dictates otherwise. When I'm not able, my DH pitches in and takes care of the critters without complaint; just like I would do if the tables were turned. For my part, I've learned not to complain if his method of caring for them is not exactly how I would do it. The method of how it's done is not important as long as it's being done.
Any decisions about getting or reducing the number of animals is a joint decision, as are any decisions that affect our family as a whole. Buying a new coat without asking my DH's opinion? Yeah, that's fine. Bringing in another mouth to feed and care for? That requires both of our consents.

I guess i am a bit stubborn and selfish(about SOME things...)...
hu.gif
But i've learned that life is so so short (really..trust me, it is..)..and my hubby knows and even respects that i wont be told what i can and cant do OR have in this one life that i am lucky to have... I'm only going to have ONE chance at life..and i intend to be happy in it.(i've seen too much death in my life to live an unhappy life..).. so my husband just knows that he can either follow along with me..or be gone. He knows that i will not beg or ask him permission for anything... Hes not my daddy...
roll.png
And so, when i say.. We have go to CT this Sat and pick up a baby goat..he knows to just ask for the directions...
And thats just the way it is with us...

All animal decisions are mine. I mean he can chime in...but in the end..the decisions about getting another animal or even re-homing an animal, are mine...
BUT...he is responsible for feeding them and keeping their houses clean... i know..i know..
hide.gif
but thats just the way it works here...and he dosent complain..its his job..hes the man of the house..
tongue.png

Also..any medical decisons and medical care goes to me..(by his choice too..).. because he wouldnt really know how to treat them medically..like what is safe to use on them..or how to wrap a wound..or how to give an injection...
Culling also goes to him... If i tell him it needs to be done..he'll do it. He hates to do it... but he'll do it if i tell him too, because he trusts my judgement 100% on when it needs to be done...
But... i WILL cull a hen that is suffering in heartbeat myself..if hes not at home. I could never let an animal suffer..
and yes..even when he was working (hes laid off right now..darn sheet metal union
hmm.png
...) but anyways..even when he was working..he got up an hour earlier than needed to feed them in the mornings...
hide.gif

Now..i dont want you guys to think that i am a tyrant..
lol.png

My husband knows that i would die for him and what is mine is his..i'd give him anything...hes literally my best friend. And i also know that i am very lucky to have him...
love.gif

Shhhh! Just dont tell HIM that.. (gotta keep him on his toes!..)
tongue.png

Last edited:
I am just because I am the one interested in them. My husband likes to watch the chickens sometimes but he doesn't really have much other interest in them as long as they aren't out eating his lawn! He does have more of an interest in the dogs, I would say we are about 50/50 on that. I take them out mushing but he takes one of them out boating (the other one doesn't like boats). When we had the goats, he would help feed and milk them when I was unable to, but they were mainly my thing... again, mostly because I was the one who had an interest in them. He did really enjoy the goats though.

ETA:One thing he absolutely refuses to do is process chickens. He doesn't even want to be in the house while it's going on and there is no way he will ever help.

Last edited:
my DH is just too soft when it comes to animals.... so they stay my domain..

If it were up to him, they would all be obese, sleep in bed with us and run the household. Someone has to draw the line!

My husband likes the hens, and tolerates my chicks, and loves our dog Dusti and likes the other dog more than he wants to admit......but besides some petting and scratch throwing, all the responsibility is on me.
If it were just up to DH, we wouldn't have any animals. Not really because he doesn't like them, nothing like that, he really likes the idea of self-sufficiency, but because he doesn't do anything that isn't on the computer, so he would never get the "idea" in his head to get a puppy or start raising chickens. He just doesn't *do* much besides his regular money-making job.

It can backfire though, coz all the animals are "mine" and so if they do something bad he blames me
tongue.png

Last edited:
I put other lol. I'm a teenager and my parents do not mess with my birds. For example, I was late for something and I asked my dad on the phone to put a Golden Sebright roo in an empty cage but instead, he thought he "Looks" better in the Serama pen. Well, I had 4 roos in there. So when I got home, the GS roo was all beat up
hmm.png
Haha, its not his fault though, he didnt know
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom