Who is setting eggs today - 4/14?

Hello all,
I actually started eggs at the same time as you all but did not even know this forum existed! Now my eggs are a little late hatching. I had one hatch yesterday between 5 PM and 9 PM. I had another one pip last night around 9 PM and nothing has come of it. I can see it is a light colored chick but there is no more activity from the chick. My question is the chick that did hatch(this is my first time doing any of this) is still all wet and sickly looking. Should I do anything for it? I thought it would be dry and fluffy by now. It also seems to have deformed feet or do they have them turned in when they are first born? I will say that my thermometer was sitting on top of the eggs to begin with but then my chick knocked them all over the place and the therm fell to the bottom of the incubator. So the temp was 99.5 and last night the therm read 92. So I was worried the chick was cold so I upped the temp a bit. It was 94 when I went to bed but 96 this morning when I woke. Anyway should I be worried that in almost 12 hours my chick has not fluffed up? Please help! Thanks! Oh and I don't know what my humidity is because I did not know to measure it--I am learning a lot about the process a little late!

Hopefully, someone can help you out with this. It might be helpful for you to do a search on "not fluffing" or something along those lines. Sometimes too high of humidity might cause that, but I really don't have enough experience to say. After all, I can't seem to make sure my turner is plugged in.
th.gif

Sounds like everyone is having good results ( well most everyone ) .I had 100% hatch ,14 eggs in and 14 chicks out ! had to help one out ,bleed a little but the others kept it company and Sunday morning it was up and about .Totally amazed at the hatch rate ,sent the seller of the eggs a email and she is blown away at the percentage as well .........last year I had 80% from her eggs so this is a huge increase ! I have another dozen Welsummer eggs in as well ( a week and a half later ) so we'll see what they give as well .

Sounds like everyone is having good results ( well most everyone ) .I had 100% hatch ,14 eggs in and 14 chicks out ! had to help one out ,bleed a little but the others kept it company and Sunday morning it was up and about .Totally amazed at the hatch rate ,sent the seller of the eggs a email and she is blown away at the percentage as well .........last year I had 80% from her eggs so this is a huge increase ! I have another dozen Welsummer eggs in as well ( a week and a half later ) so we'll see what they give as well .
Congratulations!! That is an incredible hatch rate!

Well, my last pipped egg is out of the shell. That brings my total to 5 chicks. The last chick pipped early yesterday and wasn't progressing well. I finally helped it - a lot. We'll see what happens with it. I don't see any other pips and think this hatch is done. I'll keep the eggs in for a few more days just to make sure.

How did you help it? I am wondering if I need to help my little one too. It pipped last night at 9 so maybe I will wait a little longer. Just wondering how you "help" them?

Also here is a picture of my chick and his condition at 9:30 this morning when he hatched last night between 5 and 9 PM. See his foot? Do you think that is deformed or just normal???

Goblnfvr,
I'm am curious. You hatched those chicks in the picture in an incubator and they were able to go outside the next day? They didn't get cold or need a mother hen around them at all? When you said you culled one chick, how do you do this? That would be good information to know if I ever have to cull one. Congratulations to everyone on their new chicks!

gwendalynn28,

Yes it was a nice warm day here yesterday around 70°F.
The chicks are never alone either myself or my daughter is sitting with them.
The one egg I culled [removed from the incubator] was on day 10 of incubation.

I was wondering. I'm afraid to let mine out of the house before 3 weeks of age. I guess its probably not that big of a deal since chickens are born and raised outdoors all the time! They just look so small and fragile. Its been in the 90's around my house so my two week old babies could probably go run around outside for awhile. They'd probably be scared since they've grown up in the house. They will think the outside is huge! lol!

Hi Avonshire - he's awfully cute! :) Sometimes high humidity keeps them from fluffing out. You can always take him out and put him in the brooder and he'll probably fluff up.

How did I help? I usually don't, but I REALLY wanted to see this cutie (Black Copper Marans/Orpington mix). His egg was probably too small and I figured he had died. I was looking at his egg and broke away the pipped shell fragment. At that point his beak poked through and I realized he was still alive. At that point he'd been like that for about 24 hours, so I carefully kept picking pieces of shell - not membrane - around the "zip" line. I left him like that and eventually he got out. I know you aren't supposed to help them......

I'm not sure about your chick's foot. I've had them a little crooked and they've straightened out, but never turned over like that. Maybe someone else knows?

Quote:Originally Posted by Avonshire

How did you help it? I am wondering if I need to help my little one too. It pipped last night at 9 so maybe I will wait a little longer. Just wondering how you "help" them?

Also here is a picture of my chick and his condition at 9:30 this morning when he hatched last night between 5 and 9 PM. See his foot? Do you think that is deformed or just normal???

Hi everyone... congrats on your good results so far. I need some information please. I have had ten haych! Yay! The first one hatched at 4 pm yesterday. Its crowded in there and i cant tell if there are anymore pips. One started to unziip then stopped, No change in about 7 hours. When co I move this chicks and give up on any more hayching without putting the first hatchling in danger of dying. I can't find any clear information on this . please advise. Thanks!
I had some hatch Thursday and my last one finished on Saturday. I don't think I would want to leave all my chicks in there until then.

I removed the chicks as they seemed dry to my fancy brooder pen (cardboard box with light). They're all doing very well.

Back
Top Bottom