Who laid this egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BPM83, Mar 30, 2017.

1. BPM83

BPM83 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2016
    Peculiar, MO
    [​IMG]Today I got this very large egg (one on the left) but I do not know what bird it is from. The one on the right is a medium size egg that's probably from a cochin or a silkie mix. I only have one hen that lays large eggs but they are brown and she is currently sitting on eggs. Could this be a turkey egg? I have a Naragansett and a Royal Palm that haven't started laying yet (unless this is one of theirs). Or do some smaller hens lay really large eggs?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  2. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

It might help others to be able to answer your question as stated above if you added a picture.

1 person likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not sure if it's could be a turkey egg.....do they lay greenish eggs?

Is the egg on right from a newer layer?
    If so, the one on the left could be a double yolker-common in first month or so of laying.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I've gotten some real whoppers now and again from my laying hens, so size does not really rule in/out species.

1 person likes this.
  5. BPM83

BPM83 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2016
    Peculiar, MO
    Both are from new layers. And actually one of the eggs my son cracked today was a double yolker. It may have even been that one!

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Last week we got our first double yolker from last years pullets. Normal egg size for this flock is right on the line of medium to large, 55-60 grams. This one was 94 grams and double yolker.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by