Who takes their pet to be groomed?

TheNewMrsEvans

Songster
11 Years
Sep 15, 2008
Big Sur, CA
I am starting to do "in house" grooming on my own. I have worked/trained at Petco in the past and they require the customer sign a release...being I am only me I decided this was a good idea...

Please let me know if you would sign this to get your pet groomed, or if you think any of it is odd or poorly stated.

Thanks!

GROOMING RELEASE FORM
*PLEASE READ*
It is my #1 goal to provide the best experience possible for you and your pet. Caring for your pet is a responsibility that I take very seriously, and because I am working with living, breathing, moving animals, it is necessary to have a release form signed prior to grooming.
Thank you,
"my name", Pet Groomer
While causing discomfort is strictly avoided, I realize that grooming requires the use of sharp instruments and that such use may result in injury if the pet moves suddenly. The groomer will not be held responsible for minor nicks, cuts, clipper/brush burn, nail quicking, or skin irritation resulting from grooming. e.g. matted, neglected coats, or pets possessing skin allergies. The groomer will not be held responsible for the stressful effects grooming may have on some pets.
The groomer will not be held responsible for any sickness, injury or death caused by the pet to itself during grooming or from pre-existing health conditions.
In the event that your pet displays any aggressive behaviors, the groomer reserves the right to discontinue services to protect themselves from injury. If an injury has already occurred, customer is responsible for the pet’s actions.
All charges must be paid in full, at the time of service. The groomer reserves the right to charge additional fees for services they consider over and above the norm covered by their standard rates. e.g. aggression/difficulty or coat condition. If at all possible, you will be notified before extra charges are incurred. They also reserve the right to refuse service to customers whose pet may pose a threat to them. e.g. aggression, transmissible parasite infestations.
Pet’s Name _____________________________Breed_____________________
Estimated Cost of Services___________________________________________

BY SIGNING YOU AGREE TO ALL TERMS LISTED ABOVE IN THE GROOMING RELEASE FORM.

Owner’s Name (Print) ________________________________Date___________
Owner’s Signature_________________________________________________

Obviously the formatting is nicer when printed out...​

My dog's groomer doesn't ask me to sign anything, but I would have no problem signing that. It looks pretty clear and straightforward. These days most people understand the need to be covered.

I cut my own hair bymyself since 1997 so I don't think I have money in my budget for grooming the pets, I just do it my self
lol.png

may be not as good as the pro but it works.

how much do they cahrge for a medium size dog??

but i will sign it if I was a customer.

omran

Last edited:
That sounds good! We take out Aussie in twice a year (we could go more often, but if we brush her a lot we don't need to) and the lady had us sign something the first time, then it's on record. So we don't have to sign it each time. To clarify, if the dog has a pre-existing condition, that's not covered (rightly so) but what if something accidentally happens? We'd expect our groomer to pay for an injury that occurred at their fault... Like, if the groomer slipped and cut our dog. Does that make any sense?

You might want to talk to someone in the legal field about the agreement. My understanding is that there are "reasonable" criteria for common service fields and if your agreement contradicts what is considered reasonable then it is subject to being picked apart in a court of law.

If you do go through with the agreement, you might want to include something about restraining the pet. As in, "you understand that your pet will be restrained".

I appreciate the part about stopping grooming if aggression is displayed. Any reasonable owner would want this. We started taking our puppy to a groomer early on and the third time our puppy flipped out and bit the groomer. I was waiting outside. Instead of stopping and getting me, the groomer called another employee over and they restrained my puppy by force to finish clipping her nails. Only then did the groomer come out and start yelling at me that our puppy bit her. It was only when she calmed down that I got the full story, namely that our puppy did not break the skin and that the groomer continued afterward in an inappropriate way without consulting me and could have caused more problems. A trip to the vet showed that our puppy was developing dysplasia in both front legs. The odds are high that she freaked out because it hurt to have her legs manipulated for the grooming process.

All the best for your business. We have a groomer now who is absolutely amazing and I can't tell you how much I appreciate her. We take our dog with dysplasia to the vet to get her nails cut now.

My mom has her bichon groomed by a mobile groomer twice a month and I have never seen anything like that!! He comes, takes her out, brings her back all poofy and smelling good. Never a nick, cut, scrape or anything - and she is NOT a mellow dog.

Back
Top Bottom