Whoa is me! Lots of Poop now injured

Evolvingspirit

Chirping
Oct 19, 2021
My male Norwegian Jaerhorn had so much poop stuck, I mean big clumps around his butt. He also has orange bugs on his skin. Lice?
I have about 1 year experience.
So I took Luke warm water and soaked him for about 15 minutes and tried to loosen it up with my fingers. It was difficult as the poop was hard as rock.
I got off as much as I could but still some left but no big pieces anymore. The rest of his poop is close to his skin so I didnt want to mess with it. He was calm and cooperative at first. I had to turn him on his back because I couldn't get Enough clumps off. He didn't like that at all but I felt it was necessary. In the process i must has injured his right leg. I then soaked him in vinegar and water and rubbed all around to kill the orange bugs. I soaked about 10 birds in vinegar and water also.

I took him outside wrapped in a towel and sat with him for about 15 minutes to give him lots of love because I knew he had to be stressed. When I let him down
He was limping on his right leg so I placed him in the coop and hand fed him. The temperature was about 75 when I did all of this.

So what should I do now? Probably keep him in the coop until he can walk better. Anything else regarding leg, lice treatment, and remaining poop is really appreciated

Thank you in advance for your thoughts
Stewart

Can you get photos of the bugs that are on him? I know it is hard, but if you can get an in focus photo we can try and tell what you are dealing with.

Have you ever wormed your birds? Droppings getting stuck can be a sign of that.

Last edited:
Can you get photos of the bugs that are on him? I know it is hard, but if you can get an in focus photo we can try and tell what you are dealing with.

Have you ever wormed your birds? Droppings getting stuck can be a sign of that.

Hi Saveria,

I soaked all the birds so I'll have to check. The bugs are orange and small. They move pretty good. I'll have to check to see if there are anymore.
I never de-wormed. How do I do that please.

Notice in the photo his wing is down. I NEVER have seen that. I carried him to water. I felt so bad I gave him watermelon. Lol. My chickens haven't been laying hardly any eggs this season. They are about 3 years old. Been feeding them Costco organic layer pellets. I saw on u tube beans and rice sometimes gets them to lay again. That's what Bjorn is eating in the photos . I also ordered Modesto Mills non soy organic layer crumbles to see if that may make a difference. Maybe they are bored with the Costco food.

Attachments

• 20230703_130504~2.jpg
    20230703_130504~2.jpg
    912.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230703_130500~2.jpg
    20230703_130500~2.jpg
    881.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230703_130457~2.jpg
    20230703_130457~2.jpg
    784.8 KB · Views: 7
That is a pale comb, wow. Do any pictures in this article look like what you are seeing?

https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

I would find out if you can get permethrin spray in the UK. Get Pyrethrin if you cannot find permethrin. It is not as strong, but better than nothing. Some folks also use sulfur dust, but this looks dire. I used this stuff, but find what is available, hopefully your feed store has something, you can call ahead.

Spray the vent, under each wing and between the wings on the neck, under the feathers each time. We need to figure out which bug you have before we can know how often you need to do it, but it is typically every 7-10 days.

I think that if internal parasites were the issue you would see worms or worm eggs in the poop. Do you ever see worms or white pieces in their poop?

Let me know if I need to track down someone from the UK if you need help knowing what is available or what the bug is. I am guessing whatever it is it is sucking the life out of him. Asking your feed store what the bugs are and what they have to get rid of them is probably the best idea right now.

My chickens haven't been laying hardly any eggs this season.
I am guessing it is because of whatever external parasite you are dealing with. I would feed him whatever he will eat right now, but not a lot of watermelon so he doesn't get diarrhea. Just treat to get rid of those bugs as soon as you can. Baths won't do it unless they are medicated dips, but those don't work well for birds anyway.

Wait, are you in the UK? I think I got you confused with someone else. Sorry! Too many sick roosters today. Those sprays should be easier to get if you are in the US.

They are about 3 years old. Been feeding them Costco organic layer pellets. I saw on u tube beans and rice sometimes gets them to lay again. That's what Bjorn is eating in the photos . I also ordered Modesto Mills non soy organic layer crumbles to see if that may make a difference. Maybe they are bored with the Costco food.
Where are you located in the world?

Can you get photos of his poop?

I'd stop feeding the beans and rice, stick with your commercial poultry feed.

Give him some beef liver or eggs as a treat a few times a week to boost his protein.
If you can, get some Poultry Cell and direct dose him at 1cc per 3 pounds of weight once daily for 3 days, then twice a week for a few weeks.

He looks anemic, likely from the bugs. If you bathed him, it may kill some of the bugs, but they will bite as they die.

Go to your local feed store - TSC or similar and buy a Permethrin based poultry dust and spray. Put the dust in a sock and use it like a powder puff tap it all over him, working the dust down through his feathers all the way to the skin. Do this for the hens too.
Use the spray to treat their housing/coop, make sure to get into the nooks/crannies, nesting boxes, roosting bars, etc.
Repeat treatment of birds and housing in 5-7 day intervals.

Do you see a wound around his vent or on his leg?

Stuck hardened poop needs to come off. If you can get it off and it's clumpy, try using pliers to crush it to powder and see if it comes off. If not, then you can trim the feathers with the poop balls.

When were you birds last wormed?

Back
Top Bottom