Whole corn and chicken grit

shannara200

Songster
9 Years
Sep 16, 2012
Hello everyone, I would like to get other peoples opinion concerning whole corn. I was feeding my chickens crack corn as part of the diet since it is now winter, but I read that feeding them whole corn is better since the corn retains the oils and vitamins which is healthier for them but they need access to grit if they eat that.

My chickens have access to water and layer food all the time and through the day I will give them Scratch, Corn (Winter Only), cooked Oatmeal (the type you buy at the supermarket) as morning treat and any kitchen scraps like Vegetables and meats (Non Chicken or Chicken products). I let them free range everyday for a few hours until dusk when they go back to the coops, I have never offer them grit in the run area only oyster shells since they free range, but now that I introduced whole corn for the winter should I put grit out? or does the free ranging allows them to get grit naturally. I live in a wooded area so my girls get to roam through some natural environments where they find many things to eat from snakes to grass and I always figured they got grit the natural way, do I have to change now ? or will they be ok without store bought grit.

Thank you everyone

Good question. I think it would be best to offer grit, if they don't need it, they won't eat it. Oyster shells don't count as grit.

My rule of thumb, when in doubt and the action cannot cause harm, then do it.

I went there once, its a buffet style southern food restaurant. Food is good and I enjoyed the experience but I would not eat it on a regular bases. It does get crowed but with the older generation from many local clubs. I am originally from the NJ so southern cooking is still new to me, I grew up with Jewish deli's, Greek diners, Italian pizza parlors and restaurants, with the midnight runs for Chinese food. :)

Boy I miss Pastrami on Jewish rye with a potatoes pancake :)

I went there once, its a buffet style southern food restaurant. Food is good and I enjoyed the experience but I would not eat it on a regular bases. It does get crowed but with the older generation from many local clubs. I am originally from the NJ so southern cooking is still new to me, I grew up with Jewish deli's, Greek diners, Italian pizza parlors and restaurants, with the midnight runs for Chinese food. :)

Boy I miss Pastrami on Jewish rye with a potatoes pancake :)
I'm a true southerner, prefer home cooking..but love good Italian dishes and home made pizza. Love Chinese food, but we really have no good ones in Macon. The only real authentic Chinese restaurant closed...
hit.gif

I feel your pain, luckily I found a good Chinese restaurant in Covington, the food is good with nice portions, couple of dollars more then any other Chinese place but worth it.

Outside of that I have not found any other food places like NJ.... I lost a few pounds because of it LOL
lau.gif

I feel your pain, luckily I found a good Chinese restaurant in Covington, the food is good with nice portions, couple of dollars more then any other Chinese place but worth it.

Outside of that I have not found any other food places like NJ.... I lost a few pounds because of it LOL
lau.gif
Thanks would have to check it out. We sometimes do the flea market there….and love those in Monroe. Social Circle tourist traffic is too much to make me stop and park.

When your base diet is a layer formulation be careful with the amounts of grain / oatmeal used. Layer formulations are designed to be optimally balanced with as little quality protein as you can have and still get good egg production. To much of the grains dilutes the protein and its quality.

Here is the front of the menu for that restaurant, all the info for its location is there, it is worth the trip
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom