Whole flock quit laying and other signs.

Backyard Bruce

Songster
Apr 11, 2018
Sullivan County, N.Y.
It's been around 2 months since we've had steady eggs and have had zero for about 1.5 months.
The 7 hens are a mix of Polish and RIR's all same age (18 months or so)
They all are in various stages of molt with the Polish and on RIR all completed for the most part.
Question is how long after molt do chickens resume laying.
Also one of my polish has become very aggressive and just doesn't want to be approached or touched, so we don't.
She used to be one of the most outgoing friendly hens up until this molt but I'm thinking she may becoming broody as well. Can they become broody while zero eggs are being layed.
No Roosters are in the flock anymore.

It is to be expected that 18 month old hens would stop laying in October in the northern hemisphere. They likely laid right through their first winter. Now they've molted and that new growth of a winter coat precludes egg laying. Sometimes they will resume when the feathers have completely grown in or they may wait till after winter solstice when days start getting longer. You may get some to start by the new year or at least by February. Your days are getting very short now. That creates a hormonal signal to cease production.
They'll continue this pattern every year the rest of their lives.

You can check the space between the pointy pelvic bones. When that space widens to two or more finger width, laying will be imminent.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Your aggressive hen's behavior may be due to the fact they feel like hell during molt.
If she isn't sitting in a nest 24/7, she isn't broody.
However a hen can go broody whether there are eggs or not.

Last edited:
Some people add a higher protein feed during molt since the birds are producing feathers and they are nearly all protein, so a bump in the protein content of the feed gives them the building blocks for the feathers. Many who do this indicate that it helps them get through the molt faster.

No eggs during molt, no eggs when broody.

The other aspect of egg laying is light. Many choose to let the birds have a several month break, and then the chickens resume laying when the light increases as the seasons change in early spring. Generally a bird needs around 14 hours of light a day, and that is just not happening right now. Others figure that the birds get a break at molt (or when broody) so they supplement light. Generally if this is done, the light should be on a timer so they always get the light turned on at the same time every day, and off at the same time every day. Many who do this only add light in the fall/winter/early spring, and only add it in the early morning hours. Others just have the light on for the whole 14 hours a day. Not trying to convince you either way - you are either OK with their winter break, or you want to get some eggs, your choice!

Good Luck!

Chickens don't need 14 hours of light a day to lay eggs. If that were true, chicken keepers near the equator would never get eggs because they never get over about 12 hours of light.
The stimulus comes from increasing day length vis a vis dark period as opposed to decreasing.
The OP is getting 10 hours of light now, down from almost 15 hours at summer solstice and headed down to 9 hours nearing the end of December. By the end of January, they'll be back up to 10 hours.

Thank you both for the replies.
That would be just fine if they take the winter off, just wanted to confirm that there is nothing out of the ordinary with them.
I have been giving them 20% protein feed all along.

The polish which I though might be broody most likely isn't according to your description. She is never in the nest, just doesn't want to be touched, must be like you say, it's uncomfortable with the feather growth.

Question is how long after molt do chickens resume laying.
One of my Golden Comets last winter took 2 months to complete her molt and another month to start laying after molt. Yeah 3 months without laying. She was 2.5 years old at the time. She's my favorite friendly hen, so I kept track.
Most of my chickens experience a slow molt and keep laying at a reduced rate.
My Barred Rock flock of 5 will be 15 months old Friday and one hen is going through a hard molt. 20191110_092123_resized.jpg . The rest are doing a slow molt and still laying at a reduced rate. I got 18 eggs from the 4 Rocks that are laying. I add light at 5 am year round. Sunset today is 4:35, so they are getting 11.5 hours of light. GC

Back
Top Bottom