Whole, undigested grains in poop?

What?
Advice if I’m doing something terribly wrong is definitely accepted. It is my first time with chickens.
I used that emoji because you said something along the Iines of they aren't picking and choosing what to eat because you watch them eat twice a week.
That is silly.

I used that emoji because you said something along the Iines of they aren't picking and choosing what to eat because you watch them eat twice a week.
That is silly.
Ok. Well, I promise, they aren’t. I was saying that AT LEAST. And I promise, they don’t. I give them a bowl, and it’s empty by the end of the day. No ones type of grain left.

Natural soil doesn't always have the appropriate grit for poultry. The gravel needs to be sharp edged not rounded. Not all soil types have the sharp gravel. It's more likely to be found west of the Rockies where geological features are much more recent than in the eastern US.

The best way to tell is to scoop some into a dish and examine the particles with a magnifying lens. (Every chicken first aid kit needs a hand lens.) If the grit is rounded or too fine, you then will know you need to buy grit.

If you give your chickens some grit and they tear into it like starving waifs, that is verification they've been making do with less than they require.

You know, my chickens just hated Scratch and Peck layer feed. The chick feed picture looked appetizing, but the layer feed was just powdery with a few oat seeds and other stuff. They would not eat it, so I switched back to Purina Flock Raiser which they eat well. And it is an equally dispersed feed where they cannot pick out the things they like. With the Scratch and Peck layer, they couldn’t aeem to find anything they liked, LOL. I would get some granite grit for their age to see if it makes a difference.

If you give your chickens some grit and they tear into it like starving waifs, that is verification they've been making do with less than they require.
Or they may just gorge on it because it's 'new'.

I would get some granite grit for their age to see if it makes a difference.
Ditto Dat!

I just spread some out with the scratch grains and toss some in the dust bathing areas.

Ok. Thanks all, I'll get more grit.
Mine have been on Scratch and Peck their whole lives (all are 6 mo) and love it.
But if problems arise, I'll definitely switch.
They seem healthy. I've never had a broken, wrinkled, or soft shelled egg, and all are glossy and plump. (not too plump, I've seen the brestbone charts)
I hope I'm doing right by them. I really love them.

Ok. Thanks all, I'll get more grit.
Mine have been on Scratch and Peck their whole lives (all are 6 mo) and love it.
But if problems arise, I'll definitely switch.
They seem healthy. I've never had a broken, wrinkled, or soft shelled egg, and all are glossy and plump. (not too plump, I've seen the brestbone charts)
I hope I'm doing right by them. I really love them.
Our chickens are spoiled!! Such tiny tongues and yet so many taste buds!! If your chickens are healthy and eat their food then it's right for them! My husband came outside eating yogurt and one of the pullets started pulling on his pant legs for some. It was their first time eating yogurt and it looked so funny, actually looked as if they smacked their lips! Chickens have so 'near human' feelings, it certainly could be possible that moving around because of the wild fires could be stressing them.

Back
Top Bottom