Whose egg?

Jlwarn92

Chirping
Feb 26, 2023
Daytona Beach Florida
I currently have three hens that are all coming into lay. I have an Orpington/Welsummer cross, barred rock and an Oliver egger (Welsummer/cream leg bar cross). My orpington and barred rock have both started laying this month and I’ve been waiting on our olive egger to lay. Today I found this egg in the run. It is different than what both my barred rock and Orpington have been laying, is it possible one of them are working out the kinks still or is my olive egger laying brown eggs? The first picture is the egg I found today, the second is what I’ve been getting from my barred rock and Orpington. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5338.jpeg
    IMG_5338.jpeg
    425.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5344.jpeg
    IMG_5344.jpeg
    332.5 KB · Views: 27
Your Olive egger might be the culprit. Sometimes if a OE roo is bred to a OE hen and they both carry the brown gene it can result in a brown layer. Found that out with my EE who lays a really light brownish blush color and I was hoping for blue.
I lucked out! It must have been from my barred rock, I found this green in the middle of their run today!

Attachments

• IMG_5418.jpeg
    IMG_5418.jpeg
    345.4 KB · Views: 27
Your Olive egger might be the culprit. Sometimes if a OE roo is bred to a OE hen and they both carry the brown gene it can result in a brown layer. Found that out with my EE who lays a really light brownish blush color and I was hoping for blue.
I'm hoping for a green egg from mine. She has a crest so I'm hopeful she has the genes but she was crossed with RIR.

Back
Top Bottom