Why am I getting WARTY eggs? Any one know?

toetoe

Songster
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
Ferndale
I have 1 Bared Rock hen in all my flock. She is around 16 months old and gives me fantastic x-large brown eggs.

38288_second_016.jpg

They have been wonderful all summer, smooth, good shape. Then about 2 weeks ago they started getting some funny bumps on them. They kind of look like warts on the small end. The inside of the egg is fine.
She also has been loosing a lot of feathers on her sides. I feel this is from my rooster mounting her so much.

My question is about her warty eggs.

38288_picture3_075.jpg

38288_picture3_073.jpg

Dose anyone know what this if from? I there something wrong with my Elisie?

Sometimes calcium deposits happen on eggs like you are seeing. It is often genetic, and can come and go. I wouldn't worry about it. Something I did notice was her feet, maybe it is just the photo, but they appear to be a bit swollen? Might look into bumblefoot if that is the case. It is possible if she has it, that it is being a stresser, and stress can cause changes in the way the reproductive tract moves, including the shell deposition step.

I am going to say they are calicium deposits. Have you changed or added oyster shell to their food recently? Lets see what the rest say.

Chef

I agree with the others, I think it's just small calcification bumps. I would say she is okay, except her feet do look swollen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I give oyster shell or crushed egg shell every week.

Thank you for the information on the bumpy eggs.

Yes her feet have always been really chubby since I have had her for the past 5 months. She has no trouble walking or running but dose have a problem getting up on the roosts.

At the top of the toes were they connect to the leg they have a bump between the toes.
She has very fat feet. I just figured it was because of the size of the breed.
Could this be something that my other chickens could get from her?

No scab on her feet that I have ever noticed and her feet are soft to the touch.

I have a 9 year old son and this is his favorite girl. He picks her up and pets her and she is quit friendly.

Is this a problem for my son and how can I help the hen?

Back
Top Bottom