Why are my chickens not laying a lot of eggs?

Rebekahboo321

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2018
So I was wondering what could be some reasons chickens don’t lay eggs? I have a cool with 22 birds in it and only get about 5 eggs a day.... there is some older hens in the flock and 1 duck he's a boy so I know about 5 birds that aren’t laying eggs...

But The other 17 should be laying more than 5 eggs a day.... there young hens about 2-3 years old! I know it might sound I but greedy but 5 eggs just isn't enough... I like to share with my family but I can’t do that this year because my birds aren’t laying!

I thought maybe there not getting enough calcium, what should I feed them that’s high in calcium?

What are you feeding them? How big is your coop? What breeds are they?

I am feeding them layer pellets and whole corn sometimes cracked corn...

There coops run is about 15ft by 21ft... But sometimes I do let them free range.

There breeds are...
7 Rhode Island reds
8 isa browns
2 Silver lace Wyandot's
1 black jersey giant
1 Americana
1 barred rock
Them are all that should be laying... the other birds are just a Male pekin duck and a Cornish hen...

I am feeding them layer pellets and whole corn sometimes cracked corn...

There coops run is about 15ft by 21ft... But sometimes I do let them free range.

There breeds are...
7 Rhode Island reds
8 isa browns
2 Silver lace Wyandot's
1 black jersey giant
1 Americana
1 barred rock
Them are all that should be laying... the other birds are just a Male pekin duck and a Cornish hen...
How often is 'sometimes'?
It's possible that they are laying outside the coop and run if they free range even for a few hours.

How often is 'sometimes'?
It's possible that they are laying outside the coop and run if they free range even for a few hours.

I let them run every other day for about a hour or 2, never thought of that but maybe that is what is happening....

My last chicken just started laying after her winter break this past week. I still have 2 ducks that have not resumed their spring laying. There's a chance they just aren't all laying yet. There's a chance you have more than 5 laying just not all on the same days.

There's a chance the eggs are hiding out in their range space. I have interrupted a girl laying on more than one occasion at 4:30 in the afternoon, so they aren't all always morning layers either.

Back
Top Bottom