Why are my hens not laying? I have a theory. ><

Sep 13, 2021
Central Arkansas
So I have a flock of three hens and a rooster. I have not got any eggs for 2 weeks. Part of it is probably because our temperature changed so fast, it went from the 80s to the 40s in a matter of 2-3 days. However they quit when it was still warm. First let me give you the recent backstory of each hen.

1. Plum - Recently recovered from being broody, then was picked on by flock and separated. Layed 1 egg. Still has small comb but again has layed 1 egg in the past 3-4 months. Why did she lay an egg and quit?

2. Bubblegum - Molting, I do not expect her to lay eggs as she is quite scraggly. Her comb has gotten a lot smaller and is now pink instead of red.

3. Sky - Perfect health, big comb, she is the main question as to why I have got no eggs at all. none.

I have been supplement with oyster shells and they have layer feed. Two nesting boxes and I have a golf ball in one. Now, here are my theories.

1. Eating the eggs?

2. Cold weather?

3. 2 hens not expected to lay and 1 lazy hen?

So is the one hen not laying because the other two are not, and the 2 have reason. However the third does not. Why did Plum lay one egg and no more? Should I be doing some thing different? I have had them eat eggs before and fixed it with mustard, vinegar, and a dot of dish soap in a blown egg. I can put this in there and see. I live in Conway County, AR but I do not want to give any more location than that for safety reasons. It was 29 degrees farenheit this morning when I came to school at roughly 7:50 so that kind of tells you how cold it is. What should I do? Thanks for reading this long read!

Conway County, AR
You can just put "central Arkansas" in your profile. That is plenty close enough for people to answer questions where location might be useful.

To your question:
How old are the birds? It is normal for them to moult this time of year if they weren't hatched this spring or summer. And mine at least usually stop laying before the moult is obvious. It is light based I think, not temperature.

So I have a flock of three hens and a rooster. I have not got any eggs for 2 weeks. Part of it is probably because our temperature changed so fast, it went from the 80s to the 40s in a matter of 2-3 days. However they quit when it was still warm. First let me give you the recent backstory of each hen.

1. Plum - Recently recovered from being broody, then was picked on by flock and separated. Layed 1 egg. Still has small comb but again has layed 1 egg in the past 3-4 months. Why did she lay an egg and quit?

2. Bubblegum - Molting, I do not expect her to lay eggs as she is quite scraggly. Her comb has gotten a lot smaller and is now pink instead of red.

3. Sky - Perfect health, big comb, she is the main question as to why I have got no eggs at all. none.

I have been supplement with oyster shells and they have layer feed. Two nesting boxes and I have a golf ball in one. Now, here are my theories.

1. Eating the eggs?

2. Cold weather?

3. 2 hens not expected to lay and 1 lazy hen?

So is the one hen not laying because the other two are not, and the 2 have reason. However the third does not. Why did Plum lay one egg and no more? Should I be doing some thing different? I have had them eat eggs before and fixed it with mustard, vinegar, and a dot of dish soap in a blown egg. I can put this in there and see. I live in Conway County, AR but I do not want to give any more location than that for safety reasons. It was 29 degrees farenheit this morning when I came to school at roughly 7:50 so that kind of tells you how cold it is. What should I do? Thanks for reading this long read!
It had nothing to do with temperature and everything to do with shorter days. And molting if they are of age.

Hens over a year will stop laying, or lay very little as the days get shorter. If egg production is very important to you, you can put a light in the coop on a timer to give them the extra daylight. When considering this though, just remember that chickens were bred to lay this many eggs, they didn't do it naturally. Because of this, I like to give mine a break in the winter so their bodies don't have to go through the laying process along with everything else they have to do to keep warm and safe in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom