Why are my hens so mean to each other?

SnowHugs

Chirping
Sep 19, 2023
Blue Ridge, GA
I know there is a pecking order, but this has gotten pretty bad. At first, it was just one of the hens being mean to another one to the point of ripping out most of her feathers. That is still going on, but now all three of them is also gaining up on a new hen I introduced them to about two months ago. They were all getting on top of her a pulling on her feathers. I finally had to push them off and take the new one out. They used to not be like this, so I really don’t understand what is going on. Would a rooster solve this and break up the fight? Or would he make it worst? My Dad doesn’t want a rooster, but I might could convince him to allow one if it solved the fighting issue. What should I do?

Not much you can do other than rehome, cull, or keep all separated. Bullying and terrorizing is a behavior you need to nip in the bud right away before they all learn the behavior.

If you have plenty of room, and they are receiving a balanced chicken feed, you might watch who is the main bully. Then try some pinless peepers on the bully.Those allow them to see well enough to eat, drink, and get around, but makes it hard to target and peck another chicken. Here is where to read about them, and you can Google some videos:
https://www.eggcartons.com/blogs/news/pinless-peepers

How many chickens do you have? How big is your coop and run?
What's their diet?
How did you go about introducing the new one?
So they've been peaceful with each other for the last two months up until now?

I don't think a rooster is going to help. He could just make it worse.
Our coop has at least 80 feet of space.
We have four hens
We introduced the new one by keeping her in a wire cage inside of the coop where she could be seen for at least three weeks, then we opened the door. They eat Producers Pride layer pellets, plus some treats. Ever sense August, one of them started ripping another’s feathers out. She can’t eBen fly anymore, but she isn’t the new one. One was mean to another one, but now all of them are also attacking the new one too. I had heard that a rooster can break up hen fights, so I was just wondering if it would work

If you have plenty of room, and they are receiving a balanced chicken feed, you might watch who is the main bully. Then try some pinless peepers on the bully.Those allow them to see well enough to eat, drink, and get around, but makes it hard to target and peck another chicken. Here is where to read about them, and you can Google some videos:
https://www.eggcartons.com/blogs/news/pinless-peepers
I keep hearing about them, does anyone have experience with them?

Our coop has at least 80 feet of space.
We have four hens
We introduced the new one by keeping her in a wire cage inside of the coop where she could be seen for at least three weeks, then we opened the door. They eat Producers Pride layer pellets, plus some treats. Ever sense August, one of them started ripping another’s feathers out. She can’t eBen fly anymore, but she isn’t the new one. One was mean to another one, but now all of them are also attacking the new one too. I had heard that a rooster can break up hen fights, so I was just wondering if it would work
I think pinless peepers would be a good idea, as I'm not sure why they're being mean. Nothing sounds like it would cause that behavior.

Back
Top Bottom