Why are my roos chasing a hen away?

LindsayDarling

Songster
May 26, 2023
Lake County California
I inhereited a flock w 2 roos n 10 hens. It works great, Im not gonna get rid of a roo. My question is they both chase off a hen, my silkie. They arent violent or overly aggressive. She doesnt seem to belong to either of them. She isnt sick. Any thoughts? She is the sweetest hen, a loner most the time, hanging on tje fringes of the flock, but has one friend- a delaware. She is at the bottom of the pecking order.

Chicken often do not recognize nor accept Silkies or Polish as chickens if they were not raised together.

There are many threads on BYC of Silkies/Polish being scalped or even pecked to death by so-called normal chickens that were not familiar with their looks and behaviour.

Therefore it is recommended to keep them with their own kind separate in their own coop and pen.

Chicken often do not recognize nor accept Silkies or Polish as chickens if they were not raised together.

There are many threads on BYC of Silkies/Polish being scalped or even pecked to death by so-called normal chickens that were not familiar with their looks and behaviour.

Therefore it is recommended to keep them with their own kind separate in their own coop and pen.
Wow I did not know that! I inhereited this flock frm a friend, they were all raised together as chicks. Ive only seen my Silkie mate with the beta rooster. She submitted. I just dont see them chasing away the other hens like her 😕

Back
Top Bottom