Why are people so rude? Need to vent... *LONG*

I find myself on both sides of this story.

1: My children were in a similar situation when they were very young. We lived in a very rural community and there was only one other little girl who lived near enough to play. She was something else, inviting one over then ignoring him or coming over to our house just to play with their things but not let them play too (with their own toys & pets!) Then pit one sibling against the other. Even though this was the ONLY child to play with, I had to tell my young children that a true friend would not act like that. A true friend is loyal, loving, shares and is not malicous. It was hard for them to understand at the time that I was trying to protect them from becoming a teen / adult who thinks abusive behavior is normal. I didn't want my son growing up thinking women who walk all over him are OK. My kids know what a healthy relationship is because I taught them at a young age.

2: I have a special needs child, a daughter born very late in life. To me she seems so normal, but I find myself confronted with a reality check whenever a friend comes over to play ( which unfortunately is not very often) I may always have to prepare her food because of her physical disabilaties and it is has become routine around our house. She can make a bowl of cereal, a peanutbutter sandwich or get a snack out of the fridge but can't make microwave popcorn. I want her to have friends like a normal child but like someone else posted - kids her age are more mature than she is and she may never catch up to them. It puts us in a position to invite younger children over to play. She wants to be around kids her own age though.

Create your boundries then stick with them. It is best for your family. Remember: Your children are your responsibility to raise, and Hers are hers. I'm all about helping out a friend or neighbor but not at the expense of the mental / physical health of my own family.

Quote:
Problem child yes, but demon is a bit harsh, huh? A lot of kids have issues, but "demon" is usually reserved for hardened murders..... IMHO

If I'd thought the demon was merely a problem child, I wouldn't have said demon. IMHO, you should choose your own words for you, not others.

Quote:
Problem child yes, but demon is a bit harsh, huh? A lot of kids have issues, but "demon" is usually reserved for hardened murders..... IMHO

If I'd thought the demon was merely a problem child, I wouldn't have said demon. IMHO, you should choose your own words for you, not others.

Joe, the dear Joe we all love so much. I will say that we probably have a difference of opinion and blow you a kiss.
love.gif

Quote:

Joe, the dear Joe we all love so much. I will say that we probably have a difference of opinion and blow you a kiss.
love.gif

Kisses for Joe??? What would Anne think?

I have one thing to say:

There are those who use people, and those who are used.

All of that slapping and beating that your son receives from his "friend" could traumatize him, even if he doesn't think it will.

Like everyone else has said... SAY NO! Even if he is not your child, SCOLD HIM! I remember when I fought with my friends at 12, my friend's parent would scold me. Don't be afraid.

Ok.. nevermind, I had more than one thing to say
lol.png

there is also such a thing as being TOO nice.......your son should not let another person hit him, weather they have a mental deficency or not...i am sure that your sons friend (at almost 13) knows hitting is wrong..now, he may have an impulse control problem..(acts BEFORE he thinks)..but still..it should NEVER BE ALLOWED...by a friend or anyone..i feel bad for your son...he seems like such a sweet boy!..and he is only trying to do "the right thing", which in turn shows what an awesome mom you must be!..but..please..let him know that their is never an excuse for hitting someone or LETTING someone hit you...and also..i really would not care what this mother thought..i'd tell her what you just told us...after all..why not??..she seems to have alot to say about your son....also..if she dosent like what you have to say...maybe she wont bring him around again...
big_smile.png

Quote:

love.gif

Well, a kiss back at ya!
9574_clown_kisserjpg.gif

Wow. Um, lemme think for a minute...

Developmentally delayed or not, the boy can learn to interact properly with other children. There are plenty of programs and therapists who do this. I would not allow any child to remain in a situation where s/he is being physically abused (hit, choked, beaten) and bullied, which is exactly what this "friend" is doing. He may be MR/DD or simply very unsocialized--children who don't learn social skills, either at school, in play groups or at home, can often appear to be MR/DD. It is not your job to socialize an unsocialized 12-year-old who is not your own child, it is hers. Your job is to keep your child safe.

Either the boy's mother does not see it or feels that the boy is a precious little angel who would never do such a thing and is blaming bad behavior on your son. Think about this, her son has NO other friends--yet she can't imagine why, after seeing his awful, violent behavior towards other children?!? I have a feeling she knows exactly why her son has no other friends and doesn't want to accept the reason.

It may also be that your son accepts the bad behavior from his "friend" because he sees that YOU accept it from the boy and his parents, and he feels that this is the nice thing to do.

I would directly, firmly, but politely explain to the mom that Bratley will not be allowed to play with Kameron anymore due to his unacceptable behavior in your home, then offer her the contact info for a local child psychologist. If she did the, "Hi, we're coming over at 7 for dinner and so the kids can play! See ya!" repeat the same without apologizing--because YOU have nothing to apologize for! If she shows up at the door, walk out of your house to talk to her and tell her that you will be unable to entertain her and her son, due to past unacceptable behavior in your house. If she complains that her son has no other friends, say that yes, you can believe that, because his behavior has been completely unacceptable and you agree this is a big problem--then give her the name and number of a child psychologist out of the yellow pages.

I don't think either mother or son need a whole lot of sympathy, I think they need help and need prodded into getting some.

Back
Top Bottom