Why are your runs so TALL?

My first run was as you've described, tall then short. It's been 20years of trial and error that has lead me to no "short" runs. What a pain in the rear. I "thought" I could just get my rake under the short parts or whatever, not sure what I was thinking because how much money does it save really? You have to hardware cloth the top when it's short. Just not beneficial enough in my opinion. Predators will actually hang out on top of short runs but very few want to climb my 7ft. chain link.
Indeed they do. Like this for example! One of my short runs attached to one of my tall runs.

My run is about 40' x 50' and 8' high chain link fence. No netting or cover over the top. Large coop sits right in the middle. Been like this for about 7 years.

Why? Because we got the chain link for free. Came from a highway construction site, and they were going to dump it. We happened to have 12' hedge posts available, also free from a relative who was clearing land. We needed to build a run secure from coyotes, fox, raccoons, and raptors. 2+2=4.

I'm surprised we don't have more hawks carrying off our chickens. But I think it's because the fence is so high, they can't make a running start carrying a load to clear that fence. I shot one once inside the run, reading the menu specials for the day. But none since. They fly overhead, announce dinnertime to their buddies, the chickens run for cover, and that's it. None has tried to land inside.

Hasn't kept the raccoons, out though. They climb right over and clean up the feed scraps every night. Groundhog forced his way through the gate until I fixed that.

I worry foxes will get in - I understand they can climb quite well. Defense is to keep the coop ultra-secure, and I limit free-ranging so as not to set a regular schedule or pattern a fox will recognize.

My run is about 40' x 50' and 8' high chain link fence. No netting or cover over the top. Large coop sits right in the middle. Been like this for about 7 years.

Why? Because we got the chain link for free. Came from a highway construction site, and they were going to dump it. We happened to have 12' hedge posts available, also free from a relative who was clearing land. We needed to build a run secure from coyotes, fox, raccoons, and raptors. 2+2=4.

I'm surprised we don't have more hawks carrying off our chickens. But I think it's because the fence is so high, they can't make a running start carrying a load to clear that fence. I shot one once inside the run, reading the menu specials for the day. But none since. They fly overhead, announce dinnertime to their buddies, the chickens run for cover, and that's it. None has tried to land inside.

Hasn't kept the raccoons, out though. They climb right over and clean up the feed scraps every night. Groundhog forced his way through the gate until I fixed that.

I worry foxes will get in - I understand they can climb quite well. Defense is to keep the coop ultra-secure, and I limit free-ranging so as not to set a regular schedule or pattern a fox will recognize.
My coop/run setup is very similar. My chickens free range all day though and I've seen racoon's climbing the gate on my night cam. So I added a 2 foot wide flimsy wire skirt at the top that falls in (my run is way to big to cover the whole thing,) and no more climbers. I thought I might have to do another section that falls outside, but seriously nothing has even tried. Also to deter Hawks I have a fake Rooster, fake Eagle and fake Owl on 3 top corners of the run. I live on a River with many Raptors and this seems to work....

I much prefer a tall covered run. We have lots of predators.
I hang out with my chickens too. I keep a chair in there. DH says I'm chicken sitting. Some of my girls like to climb so we have perches of varying heights for them. I also think it's nice that they can spread their wings and fly/glide at least a bit. It's what birds do!
I will say I've found out if a broody is trying to hide and build a clutch of eggs it will be in the most difficult to reach area she can find. So nice to be able to get to every spot!

So I added a 2 foot wide flimsy wire skirt at the top that falls in (my run is way to big to cover the whole thing,) and no more climbers. [......] Also to deter Hawks I have a fake Rooster, fake Eagle and fake Owl on 3 top corners of the run.
Thank you for this! I love both ideas, and may do this for ours as well. :thumbsup What kind of wire skirt did you use? Would chicken wire work?

Back
Top Bottom