Why aren't my hens laying yet?

lisaleesa546

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2016
I have 6 5.5 month old hens of various breeds. None of shown any signs of laying. I did get them not long ago from a very nice home but they weren't feeding them the best food. Mostly scratch and corn. I have started them in purina layena pellets. They free range in a small fenced in yard when I'm home or they're in the coop. I have read about the signs to look for and it doesn't seem like any of that close. I will attach pictures tho they aren't the best. Is it normal for them to take this long to lay?
[/IMG]

welcome-byc.gif

Glad you joined us!
Depends on the breed, my White Californians started laying at 14 weeks, my Red Sex Links at 22. My Cochin started laying at 7 months, just to name some I remember.
Do they have access to grit, you said they have a fenced in area is it possible that they are hiding the eggs

:welcome
Glad you joined us!
Depends on the breed, my White Californians started laying at 14 weeks, my Red Sex Links at 22. My Cochin started laying at 7 months, just to name some I remember.
Do they have access to grit, you said they have a fenced in area is it possible that they are hiding the eggs

Thanks for the response! They do have a fenced in area but it's not too big (probably 12 ft by 30 ft) and I haven't found any stray eggs. They also sleep (I'm guessing by the amount of poop) in their nesting boxes. My coop has 3 roosts and 8 bird capacity. I only have 6.

Thanks for the response! They do have a fenced in area but it's not too big (probably 12 ft by 30 ft) and I haven't found any stray eggs. They also sleep (I'm guessing by the amount of poop) in their nesting boxes. My coop has 3 roosts and 8 bird capacity. I only have 6.
Do you have any wheelbarrows, buckets, boards that are not fully on the ground in the area, just a few things my birds have laid there eggs in

Good idea I'll have to inspect my yard a little closer today and make sure they aren't hiding any eggs on me. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom