Why aren't my silkies good moms?

MamaPoult

🎶As soon as I get out here on the outskirts🎶
Premium Feather Member
Jan 20, 2024
The Woods AK
Hey everyone, I purchased a batch of white silkie bantoms a few years ago to hopefully hatch some eggs. I had them for 2 years. They never went broody so I decided to throw two out of my three girls in with my chicks. Long story short, they wanted nothing to do with the chicks and didn't even hardly notice them! Has anyone had this issue? I've read a ton about them and also know lots of people who love them. I gave them chance after chance and finally got tired of them so I ended up selling them. Any insite would be apprecited. Thank you😁

Attachments

• 20230621_200152.jpg
    20230621_200152.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230621_192132.jpg
    20230621_192132.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 6
One cannot force broodiness on a bird. You threw females that were not broody, or interested in caring for chicks in with them, they acted accordingly, and even mildly. Not all birds of a breed that is know for their brooding abilities will sit. It is something that is dependent on each individual bird, and their particular line

If they weren't broody, they wouldn't want anything to do with chicks. If anything, it's a impressive thing they didn't outright go after or kill any

One cannot force broodiness on a bird. You threw females that were not broody, or interested in caring for chicks in with them, they acted accordingly, and even mildly. Not all birds of a breed that is know for their brooding abilities will sit. It is something that is dependent on each individual bird, and their particular line
Thank you both for the response I've heard that sometimes putting them around babies could trigger silkies mother instincts🤷‍♀️. Clearly not though🤨

Yea u can’t really just put chicks in with a non broody chicken but, if u get a certain line of silkies they might be more broody, or black australorps and Plymouth rocks are amazing mamas. My Australorp rock mix is a mama rn, and she is excellent! She’s only 14 months old, lol.

Yea u can’t really just put chicks in with a non broody chicken but, if u get a certain line of silkies they might be more broody, or black australorps and Plymouth rocks are amazing mamas. My Australorp rock mix is a mama rn, and she is excellent! She’s only 14 months old, lol.
Oh interesting!! Ok thank you so much😁😁

Back
Top Bottom