Why arn't my hens laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MyISAbrownhens, Nov 29, 2017.

1. MyISAbrownhens

MyISAbrownhens Songster

May 23, 2017
    Virginia
    I have five ISA brown hens that should be laying. I got them in late June and was expecting eggs by now but havn't got any. I'm worried it's because of the cold but it hasn't gotten too cold in VA, but I have no way to warm it electrically or with a heat lamp because my coop is nowhere near an outlet and my husband doesn't want to run a huge cord across the front yard. Any idea why my girls arn't laying and what I can do about it? They look pretty healthy and act normally.

Izzy Eck likes this.

2. besorto

besorto Chirping

Feb 1, 2016
    Montgomery County MD
    It's probably because of the lack of light they're getting. All of my hens have just about finished laying for the year because of the shorter days.

3. venymae

venymae Prairie Wind

Aug 18, 2014
    Manhappiness, Kansas
    My Coop
    It's not really the cold, but the shorter days and lack of light that causes hens to not lay in the winter. Many hens who don't start laying by autumn will wait until the longer days come back in spring.

4. Chelseyb123

Chelseyb123 Songster

Oct 4, 2017
    Maine
    How old are they? I got a 6month Sussex in sept she is a week older than my leghorn and she hasn't layed at all since I've had her. My leg horn though lays everyday. I live in maine andits defenitly dropped to freezing at night and daylight ending at about 430pm. And only my two 1.5 austrolops that were laying everyday and have stopped for the season. But my five other hens still lay everyday. Im not having lighting in my coop I feel its not necessary. But I also have the coop an pen all facing the sun.

5. Peeps61

Peeps61 Songster

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    I am almost certain it's the length of the days. Hens need around 16-18 hours of light a day to lay consistently. Some breeds, though, are not as sensitive to this as the OP with the leghorn noticed. My 32 girls are down to about 11 eggs a day now from the 23 to 28 that I was getting. I live in north Florida, and the days are still around 13 1/2 hours here.

6. MyISAbrownhens

MyISAbrownhens Songster

May 23, 2017
    Virginia
    They are about 21 weeks old

7. imnukensc

imnukensc Songster

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    My six month old BRs just started laying a week ago.

8. We sometimes forget that hens don't lay eggs to keep from disappointing us, but rather hens lay eggs in order to perpetuate the species. This fact dictates that hens lay best in the Spring so that the chicks produced have instant access to mega amounts of tender bugs and forbs, enabling the chicks to grow up strong and fast.

ISA hens are a hybrid species that was originally developed for battery egg production. Therefore I would expect these hens to be especially sensitive to low light conditions. If my fingers counted correctly your hens are currently about 5 months old. This is a little young to expect many eggs. However young ISA hens have the potential to produce 300 +/- eggs each per year. Hang in there and your patience will be rewarded.

9. alfalahi

alfalahi In the Brooder

Mar 8, 2016
    try this vitamin E with Sel . I could not find this product in amazon but you can find from other companies P_20171130_192741_vHDR_On.jpg
    P_20171130_192720_vHDR_On.jpg P_20171130_192727_vHDR_On.jpg

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    venymae and Pensmaster like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by