It could be the quarantine not being long enough but that doesn’t explain why her sister died last year in the same way.
By your description, it sounds like your feeder is under the roost. If you have food in the run, there is no need to have one in the coop also.
I personally would remove anything under the roost to prevent anyone from hitting the object if they fall or fly down.
That is an excellent idea. I didn’t think of that. Thank you so much!

, I’m starting to think my original girls might not have been well beforehand.
This might have well been the case and she might have died anyway, regardless of the newcomers.

Do you have any suggestions for treating the entire group for parasites, etc? I was going to add diatomaceous earth to their feed, along with a homemade garlic paste for worming.
Diatomaceous earth etc. will not work as dewormers in case of infested birds. So if you want to deworm seriously, the use of chemicals cannot be avoided.

Depending on where you live, different kinds of effective dewormers can be purchased.

Does WellingtonCoop hint to Australia?

Thanks so much. That makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, we didn’t have that option as this was an unexpected emergency rescue / re-homing situation for the 4 new hens. My other 3 hens seem unaffected after the death of their sister, however, and the new birds are in wonderful shape, showing no signs of any illness. Truthfully, I’m starting to think my original girls might not have been well beforehand.

Do you have any suggestions for treating the entire group for parasites, etc? I was going to add diatomaceous earth to their feed, along with a homemade garlic paste for worming.

So grateful for your insights!
Those home remedies don’t work.
Is there a reason you want to try home remedies instead of the permethrin that will kill parasites right away? Some people want to stay away from chemicals that they think will harm their chickens and end up turning to the chemicals because nothing else will work.
Did you see any parasites or worms?

Back
Top Bottom