Why do Geese & Ducks always find the one string in the yard...........

Discussion in 'Geese' started by chickenzoo, Dec 21, 2010.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

And get caught up in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] I swear I spend most of my time chasing down ducks and geese to get some piece of string, rope, plastic hay wrap... something---- unwrapped from their stumpy little legs. Also.... how can they find the one plastic bag or empty feed bag and tear it to pieces all over they yard and make it look like the dog did it so the dog gets wacked and they go scott free???????

2. PoultryParadise

PoultryParadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    i agree, they are always finding something and you are always thinking, where on earth did that come from.

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Around where I live, the geese tend to avoid those things, but the pigeons are constantly getting fishing line around their legs, the ducks are second most likely to have that problem, too.

4. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Mine destroyed a newspaper today. It looked like a bomb exploded!! LOL

Laurie

5. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Been there, done that with the string issue here a while back!

My Canada goose managed to tie a string from a feedsack around both its ankles, TIGHT.

I was glad I saw the problem when I did, even though I think it'd been that way maybe overnight. I got it cut off and it gimped around a little bit, but after a little while it was fine.

And yes, they'll shred anything that doesn't shred them first. LOL

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am always wondering when their going to find that screw or nail that dropped to the ground and I looked for frantically and couldn't find. Hopefully they won't either. My gander is the worst for trying to shread anything he can get his bill around, Even my shoes if I let him, pants legs are real popular with him too [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  7. floridaquilter

floridaquilter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2010
    Crescent City, FL
    and it is sooo embarassing when company come knocking on the front door and behind them I see a hen running frantically back and forth screaming with a plastic bag handle wrapped around her head. of course the bag was running after her....I was so red...my company had to help me chase her down to remove the monster following her.

8. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    [​IMG]
    Quote:

9. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG] That story has me cracking up laughing...Thanks for sharing..

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    [​IMG]

This is why I got rid of half my flock, and am still working on the rest. . . . I love the looks and thoughts of geese, especially Sebastopols, but sheesh then I own some. . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by