Why do people buy chickens and not research how to care for them?

Smartie_Pants

Songster
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Madisonville, KY
When I went up to the Jockey last Tuesday me and my mom were standing at this lady's truck waiting for her to get some change for a twenty. A guy came up and said he wanted two of her hens (who were laying.)

He was talking to her and said he had a lot of hens who were about the same age as the ones she had (6-7 months) and they weren't laying. She told him it was usually a feed issue and the conversation was basically like this:

"What are you feeding them?"

"Corn."

"What else."

"Just corn."

Why do people buy chickens and not find out what they are supposed to feed them and how to properly care for them? It always makes me mad when I see that.

Another thing I saw that angered me so much. There is an older guy who looks like a mountain man who is always there with a bunch of animals. He crams them so tight in the cage they can't even move. He had so many ducks crammed in a cage that their necks were are bent up and twisted and they were seting one on top of the other. As I walked past he had gotten a goose out for someone to look at and they decided not to buy it, so he was going to put it back in. I was standing next to to Amish women and we watched as he held it upside down by its feet and was trying to shove it in the cage. Its head and face were getting banged into the opening and the sharp wire. It was crying out and he just stuffed it in there like a kid stuffing a coat in their backpack. I got a BR roo from him this past summer who only had two toenails and was missing a toe due to mistreatment. Why do people treat them like that? You can make your money without being like that to the animals. In fact, they would probably make more if he had healthy, happy animals.

Sorry for the rant
smile.png

i know what you mean!!! and it really sucks! i bought two hens from a guy about a month and a half ago, and he told me they were black sexlinks- they are not and i knew that at the time- but i bought them anyways because their living conditions were so crappy. all he fed them was corn too. he had about 200 birds in the tiniest little area. they were supposed to be point of lay, but they are waaaaaay smaller than my 20 week olds, probably because they had crappy nutrition, but they are so scared of everybody. it makes me mad, i wish i could have him put out of business...

This is probably the best question I have read on this forum.​

Quote:
This is probably the best question I have read on this forum.

Thanks! I will admit, I impulsed purchased a duckling about 6 years ago from the feed store because it was all by itself and every time I would walk buy it would run up to me and chirp! However, as soon as I got home I did hours of research and found out everything I could about feed, bedding, etc. I had starter feed already because they had it to feed them in the store and sold it in bags, but I did my research. Other people should do the same.

That one duck started me in poultry and I have since had 50+ ducks and many chickens.

Thus the original backyardchickens was born, where people were glad to help the newbies through the trials and tribulations of chickendom.​

Have you tried contacting your local humane society to tell them this story and ask them what you can do to help stop this sort of animal abuse. I myself would whip out my cell phone next time and record the abuse which the authorities could then use as evidence.

Sometimes people just need to be educated but sometimes animals need to be rescued but SPCA's are unable to do anything because of non-reporting and no evidence.

I understand what you mean though...sometimes I just wanna
smack.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif
smack.gif

Back
Top Bottom