Why do people intentionally break the law?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever heard the expression "It's easier to ask forgiveness then permission"?
gig.gif

I agree with the premise of obeying the law, however, before I set up my coop, bought my chickens and quail I researched the law regarding keeping animals in my city. The municipal code in our city has a specific section dealing with animals. It covers dogs, cats, grazing sheep and the like. The only mention of birds (specifically poultry) is in a section under disposal and that is it. When I discovered that I had accidently bought 3 roosters I got rid of them immediately only because I wanted to be a good neighbor. I work hard to keep the smell under control and the flys in check.

Well someone complained about my quail and I received a notice from AC that fowls are not allowed in the city. I called that day and was told the officer would call me back that day, I have still yet to receive a call back. I did get rid of the noisy quail this weekend because I still want to try and be a good neighbor. However, someone mentioned I check the zoning regs and after some lengthy searching I found another code hidden in usage regarding animals (it was not labeled animals) that says I can only have fowl on property twice the size of mine (the only homes in the city that are of that size are upwards of $700,000 - $1,000,000. However, you can have 3 dogs of any size, 3 cats, potbellied pig, pigeons, etc., etc. with no size restriction.

I did not try and intentionally break the law but I guess I am according to the city, but I also found a state law that applies to my situation and the state law specifically mentions that city and county ordinances cannot override the state law.

Many many times there are conflicts in laws and sometimes they are hard to find, in my case they had 2 separate sets of laws and only 1 had a title listing animals. If they had put somewhere in the 'animals' sections to also refer to the zoning code I would have never have set up my operation.

Also keep in mind that Rosa Parks broke the law when she sat up front, would these situations not sometimes be somewhat similar (albeit not as serious or necessary).

Some laws are pretty horrifically unfair and it can be a big, big deal to get things changed. From what I've seen, you have to have large amounts of time and/or money to invest in the process or you have to know 'the right' people or you have to have enough people to make public officials worry about the next election in order to get these changes. Not everyone can afford to just pick up and move, especially now with people's property values dropping (making some folks upside down on their mortgages), and credit getting harder to come by.

I am fortunate that it's legal to keep chickens in my city and I wouldn't have gotten them if it wasn't (my neighbors are mostly empty nesters and retirees and they would never let me get by with something like that) but I can see how it would be tempting, especially if you have a pretty large and/or private yard.

I guess I don't consider the law the highest authority. I believe in the Golden Rule and that the laws exist for the citizens, not the other way around. What I have actually seen is that a lot of times the perverted Golden Rule (He who has the gold makes the rules) prevails, which goes against my sense of justice and fair play.

Having more money shouldn't mean that you have more rights. I mean, why is it legal for large poultry operations to treat their birds the way they do and do what they do to the environment, but a person can't keep a few hens even if they are quieter and less smelly than the neighbor lady's poodle? Probably because the poodle lady's neighbor can't afford to send a bunch of lobbyists to the state capital.

Self-reliance and freedom are principles we're taught to value from the time we are small, so it just goes against a lot of people's grain to submit to unreasonable and unfair laws, especially when they aren't doing anyone any harm.

I disagree. Not neccesarily concerning chickens but in general. Why is following the law the "right" thing? Have there not been MANY laws in the past that we would now consider to be "wrong"? I am talking in regards to slavery ect... Many people have broken the law in the name of doing the right thing and I am certainly not one to do something just because I am told. I rely on my own common sense and moral compass when it comes to making decisions and yes I must live with the consequences that the "law" sees fit if something happens. That is part of life. As far as chickens go, sometimes laws are outdated, or silly, or should not apply. In which case people do what they want, as long as it is not harming anyone I am ok with that. At the same time they must accept that it may not last and I would still permit them to feel sorry about it not working out. Who has not jay walked here? I mean NEVER stepped into the road without being between two crosswalk lines? But man it would suck to actually get a ticket for it!

Quote:
First, let me just say that I've read several of your other posts and find myself agreeing with you on most issues. This is just one we look at differently.

If you choose to drive 55 than that is your decision and I respect it. Most people simply don't. I know it's not exactly a perfect example since some would say 65 is risking other people's lives. Here in CT the speed limit changed from 55 to 65 in many places.

I also understand many people won't break the law because they tend to be the ones who get caught while many others seem to get away with it all the time. "Better safe than sorry" does work for many people.

The trouble with laws are some need to be broken before progress is made. History has countless examples where laws were broken, be it intentionally or not, a public outcry was created, and the laws were dropped or changed.

Finally what about the many laws that are unconstitutional? Our constitution is the ultimate set of laws for our nation. So many thousands of laws defy what are constitutional liberties.

In my own personal life I follow the laws of a God of my understanding, then a set of laws based on my own interpretation of morality. As long as the laws written by man don't conflict with those then I pay attention to them on a case by case basis. Personally I believe there are too many laws and our personal liberties are being trampled on.

Last edited:
Laws are supposed to be for the people, by the people. If you can't vote one way, then you vote with your feet.

If you don’t like a law then work to change it. Until you do respect it. That’s what living in a democracy means. And if changing it is too much trouble, expense or whatever for you to engage in the process of change then how important is it to you in the first place?

Last edited:
What if you cant change the law though?? So may people have tried...
people say.." work to change the law"..yeah right..its not quite like that in real life...
I also dont believe that the USA is a democracy anymore either..

Last edited:
Quote:
Then it goes back to the OP's original question. If I can't change the law regarding chickens than I can move, not have chickens, or quietly have them.

Again I will remind everyone that the definition of laws, rules and ordinances are very different. There are no state laws that I know of that make it a felony or misdemeanor (actual crimes) to own chickens. These are town, city and country issues and ordinances. I doubt someone will go to jail for have 4 hens in their backyards.

Lot's of good discussion and varying points of view - isn't this a great country!
thumbsup.gif

First thought - if you knowingly break the law, get caught, and punished, don't whine. "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime"

Second thought - there are a lot of stupid, outdated, or unconstitutional laws on the books that defy common sense and are difficult to change/revoke, but it is the law.

Final thought - life ain't fair. The more independent-minded folks out there (whom I generally support), how do you feel about me exercising my free will, ignoring laws I think are stupid, but you embrace?

This country is messy, but it beats most of the alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom