WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP CHICKENS INSIDE THEIR HOMES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aapomp831

Songster
Oct 4, 2017
Lincolnton, NC
I only keep chicks inside my home until they are 5 weeks old..then they go outside to the coop.
Normal. But are you letting them go where they want, up in your bed to sh*t all over the place? We keep our chicks contained on the back porch, and I can’t even let them out of the brooder to run around bc the first thing they do is crap on the floor and I get sick of cleaning it up.

Aapomp831

Songster
Oct 4, 2017
Lincolnton, NC
You're looking for an answer that can't be given simply. Every person that keeps a creature in their home, that you wouldn't keep in your home, has their own reasoning. :confused: Why should it bother anyone else?
Again, not bothering me bc my house is clean and there are no chickens running around in it. I am simply asking for people to explain the mindset behind it (without straying off topic and talking about gods and mythological creation stories). It’s not my fault that people stray off topic and get defensive and nasty.

Acre4Me

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
Agree - seeing pics of chickens on a bed is unappealing. Chickens poop whenever.

Personally, I would not want a chicken in and out of my house - they are dirty and dusty, not to mention the poop. But I don't now (or in the past) have a house where it would even make sense to have a chicken inside.

However, there are some people who keep indoor chickens, so the chicken (or two) are always indoors or in cleaner outdoor areas for short periods of time. Diapers when roaming, or in a cage. This would bother me less as the chicken is in a cleaner environment, and may be cleaned by the owners as well, at the very least the feet. OK... not my thing, but that is clearly someone's pet. Still, having a chicken on a bed that you sleep in would be unappealing to me even with indoor chickens.

FWIW, I have washed numerous chickens. They are dusty and dirty. Even with cleaning them, it is hard to thoroughly clean their feet. We have cleaned our chickens with a very mild baby soap, no fragrance. We rinse with clean water. The chickens tolerate it pretty well (some do not like the new environment), but they all LOVE the hairdryer. You don't even have to hold them, they stand there happily getting dried with warm air! However, they still aren't really completely clean...I guess they would be after several washes, but that goes against their innate nature to DUST BATHE, so a really clean/dust-free chicken may be the thing of legend.

This brings up a memory of my youngest human child (that was allowed to free range the house, of course, including their own and my bed). This child was experiential with their pre-school sand box . And when I say sand box, I mean that the pre-school had a HUGE sand box that they built. Several kids could be making sand angels at one time, if they wanted. My kid would come home dirty and dusty including down to the roots of their hair, and they were sweaty on top of that. No cats got into the sand box - it was always covered when kids were not outside, so no cat poopy germ concerns. However, kid would get home and immediately get a bath - and the bathtub would get a ring of dirt around the entire water edge....:eek:. Sometimes, they didn't get a bath right away and would free range...sometimes jumping on a bed if they went to their room (or mine) to play or read a book. . The bed sheets would get changed before bed - no fun to have sand in your bed. So, who knows, maybe the ones that let their chicken on their bed changed the sheets before sleeping. :idunno

Aapomp831

Songster
Oct 4, 2017
Lincolnton, NC
I don't know. To each their own.
All I know is when I brooded my first set of chicks in the house, I pretty much threw them outside as soon as I could. I couldn't stand it, I was pretty much dancing and throwing glitter as soon as they was out.🙄
Lol, I totally hear that! That’s me every spring when I kick them off my back porch and into the junior coop.

FloorCandy

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
I’m guessing people allow chickens in their beds for the same reason they smoke or drink, they sacrifice future them for the happiness of current them. Some people just don’t know, especially kids, some don’t know and don’t care, and some are told, but choose to see fault in the science rather than their husbandry. They’ll do what they want. I’ve had a smoker in the family tell me to follow the science about covid, even though smoking causes twice as many deaths every year as covid has. If something makes someone happy, they will do or say anything to protect it. You have to make a choice just like talk of politics, is pushing this issue worth losing friends over? Because you won’t change their mind, they will choose their comfort over your words every time. Chances are, if they get sick from it, it won’t be fatal, and then they will probably rethink the issue.

Meg-in-MT

Enabler
Jan 29, 2018
SW Montana
I am simply asking for people to explain the mindset behind it
That is what I mean, though. For everyone it's different. If we could explain why humans ever do the things they do (so that everyone understood), our world would be a much simpler place.

Personally, I don't have chickens in the house, nor do I brood them inside anymore because I don't have to. I do, however, have dogs in the house and one (Chick :lol:) that sleeps on the bed. I choose not to think about what they walk around in during the day. :oops:

Aapomp831

Songster
Oct 4, 2017
Lincolnton, NC
I’m guessing people allow chickens in their beds for the same reason they smoke or drink, they sacrifice future them for the happiness of current them. Some people just don’t know, especially kids, some don’t know and don’t care, and some are told, but choose to see fault in the science rather than their husbandry. They’ll do what they want. I’ve had a smoker in the family tell me to follow the science about covid, even though smoking causes twice as many deaths every year as covid has. If something makes someone happy, they will do or say anything to protect it. You have to make a choice just like talk of politics, is pushing this issue worth losing friends over? Because you won’t change their mind, they will choose their comfort over your words every time. Chances are, if they get sick from it, it won’t be fatal, and then they will probably rethink the issue.
I hear you. I’m not worried about losing friends over it; nobody that I know would ever do this and if they did I would never ever be a houseguest.
I’m just incredulous that there are people who can justify this and wanted to delve deeper into their minds. What I’m finding is a lot of cherry picking and excuse making for exactly what you said - to feel good in the moment and not think about long term consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom