WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP CHICKENS INSIDE THEIR HOMES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even the place that sells chicken diapers says it's bad for chickens to keep them indoors for long periods of time. " Firstly, it will make them unhappy. They prefer to be outside. Keeping a chicken inside your home permanently prevents them from expressing their natural behaviors. It is very important that chickens have several hours of free-ranging each day for their physical and psychological well-being. Chickens enjoy foraging in a yard for tasty snacks such as bugs and plants, which is not possible in your house. (At least, we certainly HOPE it's not possible for them to forage bugs and grass from your floors!) Instead, indoor pet chickens may eat bits of carpet or other detritus that is not good for them and could cause them serious health problems "

I could ask what are people who own spiders as pets thinking. That to me is illogical and gross and nightmare inducing. But I’m smart enough to know that everybody is different so just accept it and quit making such a big deal about it. It’s Not your business what other people do.
and nearly impossible to understand-----we all have our own ideas of comfort/care

I could ask what are people who own spiders as pets thinking. That to me is illogical and gross and nightmare inducing. But I’m smart enough to know that everybody is different so just accept it and quit making such a big deal about it. It’s Not your business what other people do.
An aversion to a spider is a personal phobia, and a personal opinion. I’m talking about facts. Stop being nasty and leave the thread if I have offended you.

Even the place that sells chicken diapers says it's bad for chickens to keep them indoors for long periods of time. " Firstly, it will make them unhappy. They prefer to be outside. Keeping a chicken inside your home permanently prevents them from expressing their natural behaviors. It is very important that chickens have several hours of free-ranging each day for their physical and psychological well-being. Chickens enjoy foraging in a yard for tasty snacks such as bugs and plants, which is not possible in your house. (At least, we certainly HOPE it's not possible for them to forage bugs and grass from your floors!) Instead, indoor pet chickens may eat bits of carpet or other detritus that is not good for them and could cause them serious health problems "
A voice of reason.... love it. I hadn’t even thought about them eating bits of carpet and other things in the home that could make them sick or impact the crop. Makes so much sense, and that’s what I love. Logic.

Here's my theory. Many, many humans do not have the brain wiring to grasp the concept of germs. They find it difficult to impossible to imagine something they cannot see as being potentially dangerous. Just look at how many people have a hard time taking Covid 19 seriously enough to wear a mask in public.

Others, as has been mentioned, figure the risk to their health is minimal as long as they wash their hands and keep any poop cleaned up.

Here's my theory. Many, many humans do not have the brain wiring to grasp the concept of germs. They find it difficult to impossible to imagine something they cannot see as being potentially dangerous. Just look at how many people have a hard time taking Covid 19 seriously enough to wear a mask in public.

Others, as has been mentioned, figure the risk to their health is minimal as long as they wash their hands and keep any poop cleaned up.
Logic. Love it.

I am one of the people who own snakes and spiders and exotic animals like them. They are like therapy to me. Some people like some animals more than others. I don’t like dogs and cats, my dog lives outside. One of my chickens loves to come in the house, she is only allowed on the floor though in our 2nd house which nobody lives in. I believe chickens are cleaner than dogs, or at least mine are. But I don’t understand why they are allowed on the bed and everything else. Same with allowing ducks to swim around in ppls sinks and baths, I don’t understand why people do it. I don’t allow them on my bed at all, it’s gross. Only my indoor quail roo since he partially lives indoors.

I too have never understood it. I also dont understand people who let an animal that has no control over its sphincter to walk all around their home. This meaning guinea pigs, birds, chickens and the like. I've personally owned a rabbit, a rat, a gerbil and a hamster. Only the rat was allowed to walk around freely because I trained it to do its business in its cage. My problem is not with the idea of disease...its the poop. I see people all the time that just let pigeons, cockateils, and birds just fly around their home with NO diaper. Poop would be everywhere unless you followed that bird all around cleaning up behind it. I dont think I could live like that. Maybe someone with birds like this could explain how they deal with the poo problem? :idunno

I always even before all this wiped down my grocery cart and used hand sanitizer. My fiancee used to laugh about it and compared me to "Monk". When this went down though I had the last laugh. Wash your hands and say your prayers because Jesus and germs are everywhere :thumbsup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom